Unexplained Memory usage?

mrbunny

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2008
Hi,
I have a problem with performance, there is unexplained memory usage, around 150m/2974m, when it used to be around 95m/2974m in task manager. Im not that big of a noob, I've run kaspersky, spybot search and destroy, msconfig, and CCcleaner and no results. Only core processes are running. Can anyone recommend virus software(free) or ways to get it back to normal? The fact that my computer is not running at full potential kinda bothers me, or should I just let it go?
Thanks

Vista? 256MB is a small amount of RAM usage where Superfetch is involved. Nothing with XP and Prefetch either. If you have kapersky, spybot, CC cleaner, etc., etc. installed, no wonder the system is using more memory supporting all that software. There si a way to track system memory usage of individual process in task manager. Poke around there and find the apps, service, etc. using the system memory and how much.

theAnimal

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2009

Do the processes listed in task manager not add up to 150MB? If they do there is nothing to worry about.

Edit: Actually they won't add up to the commit charge number.

mrbunny

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2008
No they add up to 92.306m. Does that mean I have a virus?
I am running xp 32 bit with only core processes running, no extra processes like kaspersky or CC cleaner

Good point. I was going to point out commit charge is not the same as physical memory usage.