Any ideas when Intel will release new i7s ?

Siggy19

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2009
My wife has persuaded me to hold off building my own i7-920 based PC for a couple of months (passover and then a family vacation mean I won't have any time to play with it anyway).

Are there likely to be any new i7s available by then (hopefully with associated price cuts for the current ones) ?

Just curious, although I know that the reality is that the new CPUs will only be released AFTER I finally pony up the cash for what I want.

Not many. There are rumors of an even higher end i7 975 extreme, but nothing significant. I wouldn't expect any significant number of new models for quite a while.

Ancient_1

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2006
They are coming out with a new stepping. The 920 will get it and I believe that the 940 will be replaced with a 950 with new stepping and the 965 with a 975. The new stepping should start showing up by the end of the month.TankGuys are taking pre-orders for the 920 DO stepping.

I don't know if there will be any changes to make the new stepping worth waiting for or not. If it is like what the GO did for the 6600's it will be well worth the wait, but doesn't seem like anyone knows what the DO will bring yet.

Kraynor

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2007
If the stepping change does to the i7 what going from B3 => G0 did for the Q6600, that's a very very worthy wait. *pets his B3 Q6600... burns hand* damnit... ordered 1 week before they announced the G0, ONE WEEK! Oh well, still love the thing, 3.2 ghz, yeah! (yes I know the G0 goes 3.6 quite happily but still, this is a B3 and I'm happy!)