Solved

Moving OS Partition to SSD

Tags:
  • SSD
  • Partition
  • Storage
Last response: in Storage
May 30, 2010 1:50:51 PM

I currently have a 250GB Seagate HDD with 3 partitions. One for the OS, one for programs, and one for storage. I am planning on buying an Intel X-25V to use as a boot drive. My OS partition is only like 20GB of 30 available so size isn't an issue. Can I just copy over my OS partition to the SSD and make my SSD the C: Drive so it won't mess up any file associations?

More about : moving partition ssd

a b G Storage
June 1, 2010 2:52:42 AM

no you can't just copy them you will have to use a disc cloning program
m
l

Best solution

June 2, 2010 5:24:07 PM

Andon48 said:
I currently have a 250GB Seagate HDD with 3 partitions. One for the OS, one for programs, and one for storage. I am planning on buying an Intel X-25V to use as a boot drive. My OS partition is only like 20GB of 30 available so size isn't an issue. Can I just copy over my OS partition to the SSD and make my SSD the C: Drive so it won't mess up any file associations?

I'd recomment making a system image/back-up in Windows 7 to an external back-up drive., then using Acronis True Image to clone it back to the new SSD. It took me about 15 minutes to the procedure start, to having win7 boot from the the SSD. Didn't have to re-install ANY software.
Related resources
June 8, 2010 1:27:00 PM

Best answer selected by Andon48.
m
l
June 22, 2010 12:41:29 PM

I just reinstalled win7 64 on my new SSD without cloning it. I just used the Asus restore disk. Can I use that cloning software to copy over my programs from a slave drive?
m
l
!