Diamond HD 4850 not booting

Raptor43321

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
Hello there,
I got a Diamond HD 4850 (PCIe) to replace my Radeon X1600 (AGP) for Christmas and when I finally got around to putting it in, my PC wouldn't boot. Power would go to the PC and the fans/ lights would turn on, but the monitor would stay black and not even BIOS would show up or the little beep u get at boot up.

Specs:
Diamond HD 4850 (512 MB)
Intel Core2 Quad @ 2.4 GHz CPU
AsRock 4 Core Dual SATA-2 Motherboard
2 GB RAM (DDR 2)
BFG 650w PSU
ViewSonic 19" Widescreen monitor
1x DVD drive
1x R/RW CD drive
Western Digital 250 GB hard drive
Windows XP Pro (SP 3)

Other:
No sound cards
No onboard GPU

Anyways, I think I tired almost everything:
Unplugged card
Made sure card was in PCIe slot
Made sure 6pin PCIe power connector was in right
Made sure DVI cable worked
Plugged a friends PCIe card into my motherboard and it worked (to make sure PCIe slot was good)
Plugged my HD 4850 into friend's comp and it worked
Updated BIOS to absolute latest version
Uninstalled X1600 drivers
Took battery out
Did the CMOS jumper thingy :wahoo:
Unplugged compnents (CD drives, hard drive, RAM)
I'm sure the PSU was good enough....
Tried different monitors
Made sure motherboard was hooked up right
Different DVI cables
Followed suggestions to change certain things in BIOS relating to graphics card
Sent card in and got a replacement...same thing happened
Called Diamond tech support (yeah, what big help that was....)
Searched on the interent for hours and hours and hours...
Threw comp out of window...lol j/k

Using the X1600 right now and everything works 100% as always

Anyway....any help would be nice cause I'm ready to do some skull smashin lol :D

major53

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2007
raptor43321 Diamond HD 4850 (PCIe) to replace my Radeon X1600 (AGP) will this mobo support pci-e,also which slot are you plugging the 4850.

Raptor43321

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
Well.....I would assume it supports PCIe since my bro's PCIe card worked in the single PCIe slot that is right under the AGP slot.

I'm sure I'm plugging it into the PCIe slot since there's only 1 of them on the motherboard and it slips and clips right in :D
Either that answers it or I don't understand the question correctly lol

lol, didn't expect a reply so soon :)

major53

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2007
raptor43321 is this your board spec 4CoreDual-SATA2

1. LGA 775 for Intel® Core™ 2 Quad / Core™ 2 Extreme / Core™ 2 Duo / Pentium® XE / Pentium® D / Pentium® Dual Core / Pentium® 4 / Celeron® / Celeron® D, supporting Quad Core Kentsfield processors
2. VIA® PT880 Pro/PT880 Ultra Chipsets

* Supports FSB1066/800/533MHz processors and H-T Technology
* Supports Dual Channel DDRII667 (DDRII x 2 DIMM slots) and DDR400 (DDR x 2 DIMM slots)
* Untied Overclocking : During Overclocking, FSB enjoys better margin due to fixed AGP/PCIE/ PCI Buses
* 1 x PCI Express Graphics slot (@ x4 mode)
* 1 x AGP 8X slot
* Hybrid Booster - Safe Overclocking Technology
* 2 x SATAII 3.0 Gb/s connectors, support RAID (RAID 0, RAID 1, and JBOD) and Hot Plug functions
* HDMI_SPDIF header, providing SPDIF audio output to HDMI VGA card, allows the system to connect HDMI Digital TV/projector/LCD devices.
* 7.1 CH Windows® Vista™ Premium Level HD Audio (ALC888 Audio Codec), 10/100 Ethernet LAN
* Windows® Vista™ Premium 2007 Logo Ready
* HD 8CH I/O: 4 ready-to-use USB2.0 ports, HD 7.1 channel audio jacks

this may be your problem sense the 4850 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814103069

4870 and ATI Radeon HD 4850 System Requirements PCI Express® based PC is required with one X16 lane graphics slot available on the motherboard

hope this helps you out.

Very weird, but hopefully a new mobo will fix it. I thought that you could run the cards @ less than 16x because I remember seeing a review in the past where they taped off the connectors so they could run them at 8x and 4x. Still, it definitely sounds like the board is at fault. Not to mention, PCI-E 4x 1.0 would really slow that card down. I hope you get it all worked out.