S-video out resolution?

afya

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2008
I downloaded some 1080p videos recently and wanna play it on the HDTV. However, it is kinda annoying that my TV only accept 1600x1200 via VGA. I decided to connect my PC in the basement up to the TV on the 1st floor.

card I'm using is the powercolor x1950 pro which has two DVI-D and a S-video VIVO. The packet comes with a s-video->component adapter. I tried connecting that to the monitor but the resolution is just not good.

I wanna know what the limit is from the s-video, or do i have to change some setting to get 1080 from that.

It is the cheapest solution I could think of. 25 ft DVI or HDMI would cost too much that I'll just stick to the 1600x1200 laptop.....

S-Video is analog and I believe it's specifications is 480i. It is possible to max it out to 1024 x 768 but it depends on the TV's integrated electronic which will determine how well the image will be displayed.

I don't know how it will look on an HDTV 'cause I don't own one yet.

turk_1000

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2007
Don't know what you are willing to spend on cables, but check out "monoprice.com". DVI or HDMI run about $1 a foot there. I doubt you will find them cheaper.

afya

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2008

Thats what I think but since it is a 9pin s-video and I'm using a s-video -> component adapter, I hoped it would support more than the old school 4pin s-video does.

thanks Turk, I'll get a HDMI from there.