Brownie2k2001

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2009
Hi guys, this is my first post, and i'm at a loss as what i should do with my home-made computer.

Yesterday i bought the parts for a custom home-made computer, these parts being:

Intel Core i7 920 CPU
8GB (4x2GB) DDR3 OCZ Memory
1TB 7200rpm HDD
ATi Radeon HD 4870 x2 2GB
Gigabyte motherboard EX58-UD4
850W PSU

I've set everything up correctly, making sure everything is wired properly and no exposed ends are anywhere near the motherboard. Problem is, when i plug in the 8pin adapter on the motherboard, my computer is constantly restarting, when i turn it on the CPU Fan will spin, the LED's will come on, then 2 seconds later, it'll all go off, it'll then continue doing this untill i turn the PSU off at the back.
The wierd thing is, when i remove the 8-pin adapter, the computer will start up no problem, but i see nothing on my monitor at all. I also hear no HDD activity (there is no windows on the HDD, but surely i should hear some activity).
When i plug the 4-pin adapter in, the computer will no start at all.

I'm wondering if i have a powerfull enough PSU for my setup, and if i do, have i got a bad PSU? I've ruled out the graphics card and HDD as problems, and i've tried with only 1 stick of memory, but it still does the same thing.

I really dont know what to do here, it's not the first computer i've built, not by a long way, but this has me totally confused now.

Hopefully someone could possibly help me here!

Thanks a lot guys! :)

what is the rating on the 12V rail...mayb its because the PSU is nt providing sufficient power to the GFX card, which can cause tis problem...and give more info on the PSU make, ratings...

Brownie2k2001

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2009
I've managed to find out what was wrong with it. Seems like i had a defective motherboard which had a couple of bent pins in the CPU Bay, The shop refused to exchange it, so i ended up buying the next model up elsewhere.

This is the PSU that i currently have in my machine:
http://www.aone.co.uk/ProdInfo.ASP?ProductID=2129 (850W 80+ Quad 12v V2.2 High Efficiency Black PSU)
All seems fine now, but could anyone suggest a good CPU cooler for the Core i7's? I do plan on Overclocking sometime and i'm not too sure the stock cooler would live up to the OC Challenge :(

theAnimal

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2009

Only 620W on the 12V rails is very low for an 850W PSU.

Xigmatech Dark Knight is a good cooler.