Memory upgrade

9unicorns

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2009
Hi
I am new to all this (1st forum - 1st. post!) Please help.
I have an AcerPower 8 computer running Vista Home Premium, computer one yr. old.
It has 4 memory slots numbers 1 & 2 came from manufacturer with 512MB DDR2 (PC2-5300) 333Mhz (DDR2 667)in each.
The manufacturer says this computer can take up to 4GB of memory.
So I purchased another 2x1GB memory. When I inserted one 1GB stick into slot 3 my computer works fine & it recognises the extra memory (total now 2GB). However when I try to insert the second new stick into slot 4 my computer will now boot up and just constantly bleeps & the screen just shows a speckly snow storm. When I remove the stick from slot 4, computer works fine again. Both new sticks were purchased together & are identical. I have tried rearranging different sticks in different slots but no luck when all 4 slots are used.
SIW shows all the memory timings, frequencies etc. on the new stick are identical to the manufacturers sticks.
Motherboard is an Acer EM61SM/EM61PM.
CPU AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 3600+
Memory: Maximum Capacity 16384 MBytes
Maximum Memory Module Size 4096 MBytes
Memory Slots 4
Error Correction None
I hope I have given enough information.
I would appreciate any help.
Many thanks
9unicorns

Fuster33

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
Here are some possibilities:
-The second stick you added (the one you placed into the fourth slot first) may be faulty
-The fourth slot of your motherboard may be faulty

Can you try the stick on another computer? If it works there then it could be your motherboard. If it doesn't then your memory might be faulty. It happens.

The thing most pepple seem to keep overlooking is when you install 4 sticks of memory, many times you must bump the memory voltage up slightly to get all 4 sticks working due to the increased system overhead. Also many boards will default 4 sticks to a slower speed in order to ensure they work, yours might not do that.
You would have been better to bought a 2x2gig set and simply replaced the original modules. Seems like a waste I know, but memory is cheap and you have a lot less problems.

Zenthar

Distinguished
If the MB has 4 slots and the manufacturer tells you it supports up to 4GB, chances are 2GB modules might not be supported.

To test the memory modules, remove the 512MB and put the 1GB in their place. If it works you ruled-out defective module. Now try putting a single 512MB module in the 4th spot (the one that caused problems), leaving the 3rd empty. If it works then you ruled-out defective slot, leaving one possibility: the "4 sticks of memory" issue. You can check your MB's manual for BIOS RAM voltage modification or call manufacturer tech support.

Moreover, you might want to check which order you put the memory modules so dual-channel stays enabled. If you initial setup was 512M-512M-EMPTY-EMPTY, you should try 1G-1G-512M-512M (or seem MB's manual again).

rags_20

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2008
Ok. Try to use the 1st 1GB stick in the 4th slot. If that doesn't work, try using 1 stick only in each slot. Try running the 4th stick only in a slot that previously worked. Or else RMA the new RAM. Also, try to remove the 512 MBs and just run the 2 1GBs. And what exactly is your new RAM? Manufacturer? FSB? And you bought 2x 1GB DDR2 667 PC2-5300, right? You might have been better of having manufacturer do the upgrade.

9unicorns

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2009

Hi
Many thanks for your reply.
I don't think the stick is faulty, cos when this 1st happened, that was my 1st. thought, so I returned the stick to the seller who sent me a replacement (same result in 4th slot). Unfortunately I don't have another compatible computer to try it on.
Take Care
9unicorns

9unicorns

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2009

Hi
Many thanks for your reply, I will try that. The sticks are only 1GB each. The bleeps on the computer freak me out a bit though!! lol Can I cause any damage testing out the various options you suggest?
Take Care
9unicorns

9unicorns

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2009

Hi
Many thanks for replying.
I am unsure of the manufacturer the sticks are marked with IN2T1GNWKEX J0903A 28-22-89 1GB DDR-2 -667 DIMM. They were bought from shop4usb.com Sorry new to all this not sure what you mean by FSB?
Take Care
9unicorns

Zenthar

Distinguished
No, the beep only tells you there is a problem, some board will beep if they don't find any video card or no memory for example. The only way to cause damage doing the tests would be if you put the DIMMs backward and there is a "notch" preventing you from doing just that :p.

9unicorns

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2009

Hi
Many thanks for your reply. I think I remember looking at the manufactures website & it saying only 1GB max. per slot, if that is so unfortunately the 2GB idea (although a good one) won't work. Sorry I haven't a clue how to bump up the memory voltage (I'm new to all this) & can I can damage/crash by doing so, cos I use this computer every day for my business.
Take Care
9unicorns

9unicorns

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2009

9unicorns

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2009

Thanks, I will remember that.

unclefester

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2008
Some memory won't take that much voltage. Yet others will go higher. So be sure and do a little home-work when applying voltage. I also recommend adding 1 stick at a time, so you don't overload the memory controller. Add 1 stick run for 10 minutes, shut down and add the next.

9unicorns

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2009
Thanks, however I a a little reluctant to mess any further, as I need this computer for work every day. So I think I will take it to a computer shop one day & be content with 2GB for now, but I really appreciate your suggestions.