Sign in with
Your question

Got a virus, now I have a BSOD

Last response: in Windows XP
May 19, 2011 1:15:34 AM

So I got some sort of messed up virus that was able to get through Avast free edition and mess things up, so I restarted the computer. I then got a BSOD with this info.

0x0000007E (0xC0000005, 0x8ADBA290, 0xF78E64CC, 0xF78E61c8

I then restarted again, and tried to load with my last good configuration and got another BSOD with this info

0x0000005 (0x8AF59290, 0xF78E24CC, 0xF78E2C8

So I restarted again and tried to load into safe mode. Then all these files in system32 ran across the screen and then froze for like 3 minutes before going to another BSOD that said this.

0x0000007E (0xC0000005, 0x8AC1C290, 0xF78DE4CC, 0xF78DE1C8

What is my next step from here? I'm not really sure what this means and I'm not sure how I would go about fixing it without being able to get into safe mode.

More about : virus bsod

May 19, 2011 3:13:22 AM

The 2nd BSOD info was actually

0x0000007E (0x0000005, 0x8AF59290, 0xF78E24CC, 0xF78E2C8)
m
l
May 19, 2011 4:39:16 AM

You left out a couple things...

What's the computer? Make, model.

What was the faulted module involved? It would show below the stop error message, however, some stop errors don't get an explanation. If it was there it would look something like this: SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED but it could say anything else too.

My first instinct says it is bad memory, then a USB issue. You can try turning off USB in the BIOS and try again, or swap out memory.

m
l
Related resources
May 19, 2011 4:53:42 AM

There was no info after the error message. I have a homemade system with an intel E5200 CPU, gigabyte EP45-DS3L motherboard, 4 gb of G Skill ram and Windows XP.

I tried going into windows recovery console and doing a chkdsk repair and its taking forever.
m
l
May 19, 2011 5:22:25 AM

ramulux said:
There was no info after the error message. I have a homemade system with an intel E5200 CPU, gigabyte EP45-DS3L motherboard, 4 gb of G Skill ram and Windows XP.

I tried going into windows recovery console and doing a chkdsk repair and its taking forever.

Good to know, more research is possible now. About Chkdsk... don't be surprised if it takes overnight. It really is doing something.

m
l
May 19, 2011 7:08:53 AM

So chkdsk finished running and it said it had fixed a few errors. I restarted the computer and still no luck, I still get a BSOD with a similar code.

0x0000007E (0xC0000005, 0x8ADF5290, 0xF78E64CC, 0xF78E61C8,)

Not really sure where to go from here. Is there anything else I can do in the recovery console to help fix this? I really dont want to have to re-install Windows, I haven't backed anything up and I really dont want to lose everything.
m
l
May 19, 2011 7:24:56 AM

Your best try now is to repair install the operating system, which does not erase your personal files.
The directions are posted in this XP forum, sixth post from he top.
if that fails...
Your best recovery option is to remove the hard drive from the computer, install it as a slave drive on a working XP computer. You could scan the drive with the working computer's antivirus. drag your files off the damaged drive and make a backup. I have done this many times successfully.
You then reformat your drive and do a fresh install, replace your files from the scanned backup...reload your drivers.
NOW...you get the thing working, (and you will) remember!
Use a professional all in one security program, not a free antivirus. Free downloads will leave your computer un-protected. Systems such as Norton, Panda, Kapersky, will give you much better protection.
And, always make backups, or use an online backup service, in case of future troubles.
Or have a computer shop do it for you...
m
l
May 19, 2011 10:47:10 PM

So I did a repair re-install and was able to get past the BSOD. For some reason I had to re-activate my copy of Windows too.

But when I get to the desktop everything sort of goes crazy. The viruses that caused the problem in the first place are obviously still there and messing up my system. My free Avast anti-virus pops up and says that a virus is detected coming from "searchago.org/dfrg/dfrg" then a Windows XP Recovery program pops up listing all sorts of errors my computer has.

Then a Windows security alert pops up from the taskbar saying "critical error. damaged hard drive clusters detected. Private data at risk.", then an actual message will randomly pop up saying "The system has detected a problem with one or more installed IDE/SATA Hard disks. It is recommended you restart the system.

The computer is incredibly slow, freezing when I try to start the internet or any other program. My administrator tools have also disappeared, I figured I would try a system restore but there is no administrator tools folder on my start menu and there is nothing in the folder when I go through the control panel. I also cant access my task manager.

I'm wondering where I go from here. Obviously a couple viruses are crippling my PC but I"m not sure how to go about fixing it.
m
l
May 20, 2011 12:47:30 AM

Quote:
Then a Windows security alert pops up from the taskbar saying "critical error. damaged hard drive clusters detected. Private data at risk.", then an actual message will randomly pop up saying "The system has detected a problem with one or more installed IDE/SATA Hard disks. It is recommended you restart the system.

Not one of these messages are an authentic Windows protection message. They are all being issued by one or more malware programs in your computer. The virus(es) have re-nested themselves and want you to re-start to put themselves back into action.

Avast is absolute crap, just as useless as McAfee.

They will find malware that has been around for the past 10 years but little that has only been out for the past 2 years. I think both companies plagiarize other companies research.

While your machine still works, get a serious anti-virus package that can and will clean up your mess.
I don't like Symantec but their stuff works. It's going to hog resources and put so many new registry entries in that you'll never see the end of it.

Kaspersky Labs will be a total kill for malware. I like it's methods, very thorough. What I don't like, but can be changed as soon as it's installed, is that it turns on automatic updates and error reporting. It also must be updated as soon as it's installed, but that can be expected so it gets the latest definitions for malware.

You can DL Kaspersky and run it fully for 30 days free by going to their site by clicking
HERE.

m
l
May 20, 2011 2:10:02 AM

1. Avast isn't crap. It's actually a pretty good Anti Virus.

2. Free software isn't garbage, or leave you unprotected, as mentioned above.

3. Run through the malware guide in my signature, and you'll be fine.
m
l
May 25, 2011 6:52:11 PM

Most of the really bad problems we see with infections lead back to the fact that somebody installed a free antivirus.
The people with professional antivirus don't have these problems.

On the last infected computer, we ran malware bytes, then we ran Panda Active Scan.
Malware bytes found 0 problems, Panda found 68 problems. That in a nutshell, is the advantage of using professional software.
The free software can't even to pretend to approach the level of security that professional software provides.
Just keep loading free security into your computer, your making me rich.
m
l
May 25, 2011 9:18:27 PM

You're the only person on here that makes these wild claims, yet never offers any proof. On the other hand, I couldn't count the number of people who have used my guide, or other similar guides, and cleaned them up.

You can pay for AV software. But often, you get no better results, sometimes worse (see McAfee, Norton, AVG.....etc). What you are paying for, are perks that come built in to the software. Perks that aren't needed to clean up a system.
m
l
!