Asus P6T Deluxe v2 failure rate

belial2k

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2009
I'm a system builder, and I order most of my parts from newegg. In my i7 systems I have been using the Asus p6t deluxe v2 for almost all my builds, but lately I've had over 50% failure rate with the boards. This is over the last month and over 27 units. I'm just wondering if other builders are getting the same failure rate, or if I just got a really bad batch. Its so bad at this point I'm ready to switch to another board, but I'm not sure which one to move to. I need boards that overclock well (4.0 ghz on the 920 with liquid cooling) and have dual lans. Of course, they have to support at least 2 video cards in full x16 mode also. I'm thinking of trying the Asrock supercomputer x58. Any comments or suggestions from people who are having similar problems or have a great MB they've used for a lot of builds will help.

Mistoffeles

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2006

I love evga motherboards, they are rock solid. Haven't any experience with their i7 boards specifically, but everything I've ever used from them has been excellent. I even got a personal call from the European office when I submitted a question on the US site (since there is no Canadian site) during off-hours.

jle617

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2009
I hope I do not have a faulty board or it could just be that I am slightly new to the intel/asus set up. (I have used AMD's in the past.)

My new setup:
Asus P6T Deluxe V2
Intel i7 920 w/ Cooler Master V8
6GB of 1866 Corsair Dominators
Corsair 750tx
BFG GTX 295
Xclio windtunnel
1TB Samsung F1 Spinpoint

For some strange reason I cant seem to pass prime95.

@auto CPU vcore = 1.05 Fails 8thread prime95 after 20mins Worker#7 stopped.
@CPU vcore = 1.2v Fails 8 thread prime95 after 50mins Worker #1 and #7.

My system is running all stock HT on, no Speedstepping, Turbo v, or Epu-6.

I used the XMP profile that was recommended with the ram and it changed my QPI/DRAM core voltage to 1.6 and Dram bus to 1.66(1.65v)... and my CPU vcore read around 1.05v so i upped it to 1.2v where I was informed was the stock number.

However, in reading alot of post, many people say that they CPU vcore and QPI/DRAM core voltage should be around .05 or .5 within each other....

I tried to the QPI/DRAM core voltage to 1.2v to match my cpu and the PC will not boot up and I had to hard shut down and reset the settings on power up.

I tried to adjust all the voltages to where it showed as standard/stock and the system and this also resulted in no bootup and hard shutdown. (On restart it reads: Warning !! Overclock failure!! so I just went in and changed it back to XMP and voltages on auto.)

I am definitely no expert at adjusting bios but I know a little bit of info about it....

Btw, Speedfan temps, cpu 34-36 idle, 55-56c prime95, however the Core #0-4 temps are around 40-44 idle, and around 60-68c prime95. (I also checked with Coretemp prgm and its about the same). I have a Silverstone 103cfm fan at max speed swapped into the CM V8 hsf.

(Note: the 6GB set of RAM together has passed memtest86 v2.11 for 8hours with no errors at that XMP)

Any advice or thoughts would greatly be appreciated!! Sorry for the ultra long post.

niteman11

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2009
I am not a system builder but my P6T Deluxe V2 seems bad. I called Asus and they said it was either the CPU or motherboard. I RMA'd the board. I plugged everything and nothing, no video not a single beep.

I am surprised as I have been using Asus for years and this is my first bad board from them.

John

belial2k

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2009
Well, Asrock is a no go also. The vdroop problem is still there, and if you try to push them they will fail and blow your cpu...I wish I would have paid more attention to Tom's review and less attention to the newegg reviews.
So, that leaves me with the EVGA which we have just begun to use. Overclocking those is more of a pain and time consuming than with the p6t, but they so far have been a stable board, and I'm through 5 builds with them so far and no RMAs. So it looks like it might be the winner.
It really is too bad, because I really liked the Asus board, but I can't afford the labor and RMAs to finally get ones that work.

mrfixit15811

Distinguished
May 6, 2009

I 'm also using the Asus p6t deluxe v2 and the temps seem normal. I have the same problem. I'm starting to think that maybe a new version of prime is needed because the i7 incorporated the nouthbridge in the chip causing 2x temps in the cpu!If prime 95 is the same now as it was in 2004 than a different version only makes sense, but I'm no programmer! If prime is normal than maybe the i7 is so fast the only cooling option we have is water.

ryanytchan

Distinguished
May 11, 2009

Here's a few advice for you:
my rig:
i7 920@4.2Ghz
P6T Deluxe V2 (0406)
Kingston HyperX TI DDR3-2000@CL 7-8-7-20
HD4870x2@900/1000
Enermax Revolution 1050W
Ultra 120 eXtreme 1366 Single Fan
CM690
before my 1050w psu i have a tx 750 and my ram keeps dying and i need to change them.
then i figured the source of the problem is insuffient power.
after i upgraded to 1050w everything was fine
the voltage for qpi depends on you cpu.
for example if my cpu needs 1.45v to pass memtest and hyper pi 32m then i gave the qpi a 1.65v.
for asus and gigabyte x58 boards you need at least 1.58~1.62v
hope it helps

Smokenheals

Distinguished
May 19, 2009
Prior to running Prime Have you gone to services and do a manual stop on Windows Themes and sounds? When I did that my prime past with flying colors.

mrfixit15811

Distinguished
May 6, 2009
If you are novice or pro the Asus P6t Deluxe V2 is perfect for the X-58 chipset. I personally had problems with the chipset getting a little hot for my taste. The minute I looked at the heatsink I knew the stock one had to go, it's o.k. if you don't o.c. but for guys like us it has to go. I used an after market Thermaltake chipset heatsink and fan it keeps the X-58 pretty Kool. I have my i7 950 @3.9gig and stable. Temps on cpu are 36c-39c idle and 59c-64c 100% load and tat is about the same for the mobo.

ryanytchan

Distinguished
May 11, 2009
i have my i7 920 D0 stable on 4.2Ghz 200/2000 CL7-8-7-20
but the qpi voltage is a bit high for me though so i am going for the x58 classified this saturday

niteman11

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2009

I love the board and totally agree with you on the heatsink and fan, where did you get yours and can you send me a link?

Thanks

mrfixit15811

Distinguished
May 6, 2009
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835116018 , This one fits where the stock passive heatsink sits that comes with the board. If you don't mind using thermal adhesive you can use 2. When you remove the old heatsink clean off the paste and don't use the paste that comes with the hsf it's a little loose. I would use thermal paste with 2 of these. Make sure you aim the fan towards the cpu and not the gpu as this will remove allot of heat from the mobo and cpu coolers can handle the removal of the excess heat. Good luck

mstrmstr

Distinguished
May 20, 2009
Even the "pro's" dont get a clue- DONT OC over 3.8 with the 920 on a p6t. Unless your lucky you MUST use liquid cooling solution(like Asetek LCLC) to keep heat from frying the board ... Another thing - p6t set on "auto" with the 1600 rams will auto set to 1.8 volts- THIS will kill your cpu in short order..
1. Read instructions- the p6t is not like any other board youve seen or used. The teck is all different with the Nehalem.
2. First thing set ram volts to 1.66( 1.65 preferred but board does not do odd numbers.
3. Cool it

Youl be happy//

Need faster use the 965 I7

mstrmstr

Distinguished
May 20, 2009
Even the "pro's" dont get a clue- DONT OC over 3.8 with the 920 on a p6t. Unless your lucky you MUST use liquid cooling solution(like Asetek LCLC) to keep heat from frying the board ... Another thing - p6t set on "auto" with the 1600 rams will auto set to 1.8 volts- THIS will kill your cpu in short order..
1. Read instructions- the p6t is not like any other board youve seen or used. The tech is all different with the Nehalem.
2. First thing set ram volts to 1.66( 1.65 preferred but board does not do odd numbers.
3. Cool it

Youll be happy//

Need faster use the 965 I7

mrfixit15811

Distinguished
May 6, 2009
Thanks for the info mstrmstr, I have been having problems with ram. Tried everything 1.62v, 1.64, and auto. The memory always fails on prime 95. Now I have my voltage @ 1.66 and it's a miracle, 6hrs. and no errors. Of course I have a 950 ES w/ do stepping but faster always means hotter. Another thing you are absolutely right, water cooling is the only way if you're going to overclock. Give that man some tech points,(can you do that?)

belial2k

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2009
I'm the original poster here, and after a couple months trying other boards we decided to go back to the p6t deluxe v2. The other boards all had issues as well, although nothing compared to the run of bad Asus boards we had that prompted the switch. It seems quality control is back on line, and now we have a tolerable failure rate of about 15% again. Also the bios for the board is great, and we are hitting 4.0 every time, even with the C stepping processors. By the way, we only do custom high end builds, and only use liquid or TEC cooling. If you are using truly high end cooling with a good board you are wasting your money on the more expensive processors.On average it takes the same voltage to get a 920 to high clocks as it does a 965 (have not worked with the 975 yet). Yes you have higher multipliers, but that advantage is slight since you need really high voltages to go higher than 4.0, so no matter what model you are using you are still reaching the point of lots of extra heat to get very small gains over 4.0. You need to set the memory manually on all boards for the best results, not just the p6t deluxe.

mstrmstr

Distinguished
May 20, 2009
The problem we all see in computers is the quick release of products and programs.
Most manifest issues that we,the consumer, have to deal with. The p6t has has four bios flash since 12/31/2008 with #502 now available since 5/25/2009. Just like the"service packs" in Vista as a example the companies rely on us to report. I agree that now the p6t is more reliable than ever and as I said- support is more important than price..Once I discovered this board was built with foreward thinking and fine support I did count myself in. I7 Intel is the hot ticket now and only limited by heat generation as you stated. There are, however, those of us that do reach for the brass ring. Once the inherent square cpu is redesigned to round we will continue being strapped with difficult cooling solutions(hence the terminology)
A round cpu design can disipate 3x more heat than current square designs but suffers from redesign engineering problems.

TRENDING THREADS