Messed up airflow

jasobnd

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2008
why is it that i allways have to mount a grpahics card with the fan pointing down???

this completly messes up any directional airflow within my case (in at from out and back and top)

with a card it just creates some swirly motion which will reduce the cooling not by massive amounts but some.

isnt there cards with the fan on top of do they all mount them downwards facing.???

V3NOM

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2008
all mount them downwards facing. some suck in and blow out the back, some suck in and blow back into the case... if its a double slot exhaust style, theres nothing wrong. if its a single slot or something that blows onto the GPU, you could try mounting a PCI bracket fan below it... that could have adverse effects depending on the type of PCI fan you get though.

dtq

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2006
my graphics cards for the last few years has a fan on the underside but this isnt blowing air down its sucking air in running it over the cooling fins then kicking it out the back of the case which works just fine with normal case air flow. Even if a card doesnt have the ducting pushing hot air out of the back of the case the fan being on the underside shouldnt be an issue, I believe it should still be sucking rising air in from undeneath and then forcing it over the heat sink and from there it will spill out over the edges of the card and rise naturally - Still working with the case flow. and not interupting it any more than the cards presence in the case does anyway.

TRENDING THREADS