Please add your thoughts. 1st build.

jpar63

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2009
Hey all, I'm new here and want to kick it off by asking for your thoughts on the system I just built. I was opperating with limited resources but managed the best I could. Here goes. I don't do a whole lot of gaming, alot of photo editing , web surfing and media and office work. Your comments are appreciated, I just need to know if there are any particular "weak links" in my build.
-MOBO: Asus P5N-d SLI
-CPU: E8500 @ 3.325ghz
-MEMORY: 4gigs of Mushkin enhanced DDR2 running @ 846mhz
-GPU: Evga GeForce 9800GTX+ SC
-PSU: PcPower&Cooling silencer 750 Quad
-HD's: WesternDigital Caviar black 500gig & Maxtor 80gig (system backup)
-CD/DVD: 2 Samsung DL DVD durners
-Case: Lian Li PC-7B plus with 4 120mm fans
-CPU cooler: Asus V79, 4 heatpipes and 92mm fan
-Other: Hauppauge 1800 MCE TV tuner card

I'd continue to use xp and skip vista until windows 7 64 bit comes out. I use the beta version, and it's smoother than vista. The gtx runs pretty warm; you might look at the 4870 or 4850 instead if you're not a hardcore gamer. For the board, if you're not overclocking, any good p45 board will work fine. Some are bargains right now. You probably will never use the sli feature. I have 2 asrock boards with ddr2 and ddr3 slots; ddr3 has dropped dramatically in price. 4 gigs is around $52-60. By cutting a few dollars out of your setup, you might even be close to getting a core i7 setup. Both Fry's and microcenter have sold the 920 for $229 recentlly.