Sign in with
Your question

Samsung F3 | New build issue

Last response: in Storage
May 31, 2010 12:19:22 AM

Hi guys,

This is my new build here, first build actually.

ASUS M4A87TD Evo AM3 DDR3 ATX AMD 870 SB850 2PCI-E16 PCI-E1 3PCI 6SATA 6GB/S USB3.0 Motherboard

Sapphire 5830

G.SKILL F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL Ripjaws PC3-12800 4GB 2X2GB DDR3-1600

Samsung Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB SATA2 7200RPM 32MB Cache 3.5IN Hard Drive OEM (came in a clear packaging with a small manual. Nothing else)

AMD Phenom X3 720 (4th core successfully unlocked by Asus core unlocker)

Asus DVD-RW

I have put everything together but i cannot get the HDD detected. I have RMA'd two drives already and i still can't get the drive to work. Here is a weird thing though, I bought a 250gb seagate 7200.12 drive to test and that was detected just fine. I would really be surprised if all 3 samsung drives were defective. Another odd thing is the noise coming from the drive. When i have the drive connected to my powersupply it spins up just fine but it makes a little bit of noise. However, if the SATA cable is connected it spins up and then gets stuck repeatedly and clicks multiple times and then shuts down.

I have no idea what to do now and am planning on RMAing the drive a 3rd time. Here are the things i've already tried doing.

- Try various SATA inputs (my board only has 6gb/s inputs) and power cables.
- played with the SATA configurations in the BIOS and played around with the boot order.
- tried to mimic the setting just as the auto-detect did for the Seagate drive
- Tried finding the drive in windows 7 setup

Sadly i don't have another system to test the drive on and i'm running fresh out of ideas.

Thanks!

More about : samsung build issue

a b G Storage
May 31, 2010 10:06:35 PM

Well, my bet is that none of the drives where defective, so points to whomever you bought them from for RMA support.

Try updating the BIOS and then look for a setting for SATA that can be set specifically to 3GB/sec. If that setting doesn't already exist.

m
l
Related resources
May 31, 2010 10:34:42 PM

Chances are the drives are dead when they came. Did you buy from newegg? because i heard they have absolutely dreadful packaging.

A couple weeks ago I got a box (not from newegg) with 4 Samsung Spinpoints wrapped in double layer of huge bubble wrap and in rigid plastic cases and they all worked out of the box.
m
l
May 31, 2010 10:42:46 PM

canadian69 said:
Well, my bet is that none of the drives where defective, so points to whomever you bought them from for RMA support.

Try updating the BIOS and then look for a setting for SATA that can be set specifically to 3GB/sec. If that setting doesn't already exist.

I'm not sure the issue is my board. The manual says it is backwards compatible with 3gb/s drives and i have another SATA II drive that works and is detected perfectly fine. Also, why would a SATA connection cause a failure to spin up?

m
l
May 31, 2010 10:45:33 PM

rofl_my_waffle said:
Chances are the drives are dead when they came. Did you buy from newegg? because i heard they have absolutely dreadful packaging.

A couple weeks ago I got a box (not from newegg) with 4 Samsung Spinpoints wrapped in double layer of huge bubble wrap and in rigid plastic cases and they all worked out of the box.

The drive came in no packaging and was in a clear plastic case with no padding. However, i purchased the drive form a walk-in store.
m
l
a b G Storage
May 31, 2010 11:06:37 PM

Is there a setting in the BIOS that allows you to specify 3GB/s? Humour me.
m
l
!