Sign in with
Your question

Help! Extremely weird problem!

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 7, 2009 11:17:29 AM

What is displayed on the screen is some syncronized brick pattern whereit just seems some parts of the screen just can't keep up with the movement. In other words, my screen looks "blocky". Im running at locked 100fps on quake3, cs 1.6, ut2k4, but it looks "blocky" as if i was recording with fraps or if i had 50fps. I get no fps dips except for my fps going to 99 or 101, which i dont know if it means anything. This constant blockyness and chopyness is MINIMAL but consistent. However, once every few seconds, i get these HUGE choppyness without any fps drop it seems.

Just reformated as well, that rules out defrag, virus, spyware, etc. Latest drivers on my ATI 4350, and ive tried it on my 3 nvidia cards as well. Tried 3gb ram, new psu, tweaking video settings, etc. Vsync off and on makes no difference it seems. Granted, yes vsync makes it a BIT smoother, but the blockyness is still very much there. CPU temp 34idle, 44 load. For some reason i can't check gpu temp on my 4350 on ccc

Actually, i'm still testing but i found something maybe. I think there IS actually fps drops, it's just that it's not within MY fps range. Everyone would play at 100 fps if you could, correct? I mean im playing COUNTER strike, q3, old games, i can easyly max 100 and keep it locked. However, i can exceed that number and lock it at 500 as well. I dont know how to explain it but.. the fps drops are coming from my computers ACTUAL MAX fps rather than my set fps. While i played with fps 500, i noticed a lot of insane fps dips from 500 to 300 then 150. When those fps drops happened, the blockyness and stuttering happens. But why should i experience choppyness if my fps drops from 500 to 300 or 150? Its still above 100fps, and 100 is all you need to display perfectly smooth. If one was playing at 100 fps, and he suddenly dropped to 30 fps, it's obvious that he will see the choppyness. My choppyness comes from greater ranges it seems. When it goes from 500 to 200, i get an insane dip but since im playing at 100fps (which i am), i shouldn't feel a thing! For some reason it's happening like this!

One thing i noticed this happens is when i play with MANY people. The more people, the more visual lag, the more special effects, the stronger the choppyness gets, but since im playing at 100fps lock, i dont see any fps drop within MY range, but it's actually happening!. I really suck at explaning this, if someone understands this, rephrase it for me so i can explain it easier in the future lol

Edit: I just tested by playing with 500 and jumped around. The choppyness was INCREDIBLY worse than before. This is only food for thought, i have no intentions of wanting to play with 500 fps lol. It seems the higher the fps, the worse the choppyness gets. Something is definitely wrong! I dont know what though, somebody help!

e6300 duo core @ 1.88
Gigabyte ga-945p-s3 F6(Latest flash)
1gb ram corsair
450w fortron psu
400gb seagate sata
Win xp pro sp2
January 7, 2009 11:40:06 AM

Please post your hardware specs.
January 7, 2009 11:44:32 AM

Can you post a screen-shot of what you're experiencing?

I have one theory though, you may need to enable Vertical Sync. What happens is when your FPS and refresh rate don't match, you get choppiness across the screen in fast-paced games. FPS at 60 or above all look the same because we can't tell the difference of anything higher than 60. So, if you can sustain 150fps or higher, you can definitely sustain 60fps (or whatever your refresh is) with V-Sync enabled and it shouldn't ever drop to 30 or 15fps when things get hairy.

In either the drivers or the game itself, activate V-Sync and see if that fixes your problem. Your FPS will drop to whatever your monitor's refresh rate is, but it will look a whole lot smoother.
Related resources
January 7, 2009 11:54:24 AM

leo2kp said:
Can you post a screen-shot of what you're experiencing?

I have one theory though, you may need to enable Vertical Sync. What happens is when your FPS and refresh rate don't match, you get choppiness across the screen in fast-paced games. FPS at 60 or above all look the same because we can't tell the difference of anything higher than 60. So, if you can sustain 150fps or higher, you can definitely sustain 60fps (or whatever your refresh is) with V-Sync enabled and it shouldn't ever drop to 30 or 15fps when things get hairy.

In either the drivers or the game itself, activate V-Sync and see if that fixes your problem. Your FPS will drop to whatever your monitor's refresh rate is, but it will look a whole lot smoother.

You won't see anything in a screen shot lol. I could run the game at 5fps and take a screenshot and you couldnt differentiate. V-sync doesnt work BTW, like i stated on my post
January 7, 2009 11:55:45 AM

evongugg said:
Please post your hardware specs.

e6300 duo core @ 1.88
Gigabyte ga-945p-s3 F6(Latest flash)
1gb ram corsair
450w fortron psu
400gb seagate sata
Win xp pro sp2

sry forgot
January 7, 2009 12:24:53 PM

You need more memory and a faster CPU.
January 7, 2009 12:34:49 PM

baddad said:

LOL. That must've been the 8th time i've been told that. I've already tried 4gigs and also oc to 2.7. I dont even know why i did it, after all, i am playing counter strike. A game that requires 4gig of ram and 3ghz right? (Sarcasm).

Get real.
January 7, 2009 12:46:06 PM

Assuming you've turned on vertical sync...

Check you internet statistics while you're playing. Look at lost and duplicate packets, ping, etc. It doesn't matter how high your FPS is if has to keep adjust your position in the game it's going to make things jump around.

Check out rubberbanding and see if that sounds similar to what you're experiencing.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=rubberba...
January 7, 2009 12:53:00 PM

jerrardo said:
Assuming you've turned on vertical sync...

Check you internet statistics while you're playing. Look at lost and duplicate packets, ping, etc. It doesn't matter how high your FPS is if has to keep adjust your position in the game it's going to make things jump around.

Check out rubberbanding and see if that sounds similar to what you're experiencing.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=rubberba...

This is offline... Since when did ping affect fps?

That link is completely ridiculous. Since when did ping create FPS drop type of tearing? Ping makes models warp, it doesnt change the picture detail
January 7, 2009 12:53:22 PM

January 7, 2009 12:55:33 PM

stuart72 said:

Hear hear another dumbass reply
January 7, 2009 1:21:43 PM

If you're playing online against other people as your comment "One thing i noticed this happens is when i play with MANY people" suggests then your network connection can effect what you see. I wasn't saying that ping screws up your experience. I was just saying that your network connection (dropped and duplicate packets I think) can effect what you see, and you should look into it.

If it's not your network, then I would guess something it tying up your system like an antivirus is overworking your hard drives, or the presence of many people/AI characters is taxing your cpu. But since the FPS numbers you are seeing don't jive with what you are seeing on the screen, I would question the FPS numbers to begin with.

You can see screen tear in a screenshot btw..

http://www.nhancer.com/help/images/VSync.jpg

Good luck with the problem.

January 7, 2009 5:49:27 PM

woodyfly said:
Hear hear another dumbass reply

Sorry - it's just that from your replies you seem to like arrogance and sarcasm, so I thought I would go with the flow.

Just a few thoughts -

1) since you are getting this problem when you 'lock' you required framerate to some specified maximum (and on that note - 500 fps? Not happening. Seriously.) have you tried not specifying a required max framerate in the game and just letting the engine do it's own thing?

2) since it isn't a GPU issue (you have tried other cards / GPU types) or a processor or memory issue (though you need more memory. Really) what monitor are you using? have you tried a different one?

3) what other programs / memory resident stuff are you running? I assume you have tried running these programs with a clean OS install, if not - try it.

4) what other hardware are you running? Any wi-fi / sound / whatever upgrade cards in there? Try disabling these in hardware manager or just pulling them.

5) take a look at the 'user sarcasm' option in you PC bios. Disable it.

Personally I like option (1) for various reasons, I would articulate them but I might be wrong and you'd just gloat.

Stuart
January 7, 2009 11:17:32 PM

stuart72 said:
Sorry - it's just that from your replies you seem to like arrogance and sarcasm, so I thought I would go with the flow.

Just a few thoughts -

1) since you are getting this problem when you 'lock' you required framerate to some specified maximum (and on that note - 500 fps? Not happening. Seriously.) have you tried not specifying a required max framerate in the game and just letting the engine do it's own thing?

2) since it isn't a GPU issue (you have tried other cards / GPU types) or a processor or memory issue (though you need more memory. Really) what monitor are you using? have you tried a different one?

3) what other programs / memory resident stuff are you running? I assume you have tried running these programs with a clean OS install, if not - try it.

4) what other hardware are you running? Any wi-fi / sound / whatever upgrade cards in there? Try disabling these in hardware manager or just pulling them.

5) take a look at the 'user sarcasm' option in you PC bios. Disable it.

Personally I like option (1) for various reasons, I would articulate them but I might be wrong and you'd just gloat.

Stuart

I said "This is only food for thought, i have no intentions of wanting to play with 500 fps". It's FOOD FOR THOUGHT. Who the hell plays with 500 fps? Im simply making a point... that when my fps drops from 500 to 300, i get chops. Playing at 100 fps makes no difference. You can run a game at 100 fps but the computer is STILL rendering as much as it can.
!