PDA with Serial port

July 12, 2005 6:25:08 PM

I have the Toshiba E740 Pocket PC which have a USB port on its expansion.
Is it possible to make it a standard serial port using the USB-serial_9-pin
adapter? Does it need additional driver?

Is there a older type of PDA running Windows OS (example WinCE) which have
build-in serial port and compact flash support?
-- Speed: 66MHz or faster
-- Touch screen or keyboard input

Thanks in advance.

More about : pda serial port

Anonymous
July 12, 2005 8:27:39 PM

On Tue, 12 Jul 2005 14:25:08 -0400, "HGN" <nhan@nortel.com> wrote:

>I have the Toshiba E740 Pocket PC which have a USB port on its expansion.
>Is it possible to make it a standard serial port using the USB-serial_9-pin
>adapter? Does it need additional driver?

Few Pocket PCs have the type of USB port that can be used with a
peripheral. Drivers won't help. I don't know about yours specifically.

>Is there a older type of PDA running Windows OS (example WinCE) which have
>build-in serial port and compact flash support?
>-- Speed: 66MHz or faster
>-- Touch screen or keyboard input

Definitely. Check Chris De Herrera's site:
http://www.cewindows.net/
You will probably need a while to sort through all the tables.

An alternate approach is to use a CF Card or SD Card serial adaptor. I
haven't checked for a while, but Mobile Planet is a good source of
such stuff:
www.mobileplanet.com
And Socket Communications has made them:
www.socketcom.com

>Thanks in advance.

Robert E. Zaret, eMVP
PenFact, Inc.
500 Harrison Ave., Suite 3R
Boston, MA 02118
www.penfact.com
July 13, 2005 7:16:44 AM

On Tue, 12 Jul 2005 14:25:08 -0400, "HGN" <nhan@nortel.com> wrote:

>Is there a older type of PDA running Windows OS (example WinCE) which have
>build-in serial port and compact flash support?
>-- Speed: 66MHz or faster
>-- Touch screen or keyboard input

Not sure about speed but I still love my HP 620LX.

Both CF and PCMCIA slots. The cable link to the PC was serial port but
I suspect with the right drivers and a crossover cable you would get a
standard serial port if you wanted to control other peripherals.

Touch screen. Not bad keyboard and my battery will still do 2 hours.

The next version or two upwards became the Jornado... Built in modem
by that time but I used the PCMCIA slot for a modem card.

Pete
Anonymous
July 13, 2005 4:14:55 PM

Thanks very much for many tips (and links).
!