Cant determine the exact reason behind this problem!!

banglalovers

Distinguished
May 19, 2011
Hi, I am having a peculiar problem. Currently I have a Microtek battery for my backup power. It generally gives me enough time to shut down my PC when there is a power failure. But now a days I am facing a peculiar problem,

I keep my PC turned on most of the time. When I am not at the desk I turn off the Monitor only. And if in this time power failure happens and if I turn on my Monitor when my PC is on battery it restart.

I just couldnt identify the problem.

Can anybody help me on this issue?

is your monitor wired through the battery as well or separate wall outlet? since you ar e trying to turn it on during power failure I'm assuming it's going thru the UPS.

What about just running on the battery? Does the battery handle both monitor+system block just fine?

The only thing I can think of is that initial spike for the monitor to turn on is drawing too much power from the battery and it temporarily shuts down (read you overdrawing the battery's capacity).

Can you give us the specs for the battery, monitor and the PC power consumption.

banglalovers

Distinguished
May 19, 2011
Monitor : Samsung SyncMaster 594MG

Battery : Microtek Offline Ups [Its 3 month old]

CPU and Monitor all connected to UPS.

What about just running on the battery? Does the battery handle both monitor+system block just fine?

Ans : Yes, it runs perfectly. I can start the PC and then shut it down properly.

Previously I had a Proview UPS and that too had the same problem.

it's 600VA, but I can't find maximum draw it can handle. The monitor turning on probably trips an internal surge protection so it cuts power supply for split second (probably an automatic circuit breaker) that is why he's experiencing the PC reboot, when in fact it just looses power and turns back on.

banglalovers, can you find your UPS on this website http://www.microtekdirect.com/line_interactive_ups600va_bravo.php
and give us a link? or call the company up and see if you can get a spec PDF/doc from them?