radha1

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2009
My pc went dead while working and there was a burning smell. I suspected that the PSU burnt out, so I got a new PSU from TigerDirect (PowerUP 450W ATX). No luck even after replacing the new PSU. The front panel switch light and a green light on mb are on, but no fans running (even the one in PSU) and no power to DVD-ROM either. Can some one help me? I expect at least the fan in the new PSU should work....

ravenware

Distinguished
May 17, 2005
Firstly stop buying cheapo PSUs.

Secondly their maybe quite a bit of damage to your components.

Try buying a higher quality PSU (submit your system specs to determine adequite wattage) and then testing components by swapping with known good components or rebuild the system outright.

PC Power and cooling
Silverstone
Antec
Corsair

All make good quality PSU (maybe thermaltake too, haven't used one theirs in about 4 years though)

cheepstuff

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2008
sniff your board to find the burnt part, no joke. it could be a capacitor on the mobo or a voltage regulator for your cpu. also take it apart visually search for damage.

Hitokage

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2008
Might also want to check if you may have loosened some of the front panel connections on your motherboard. That might explain why the PSU's fan isn't even spinning up.