Willpower

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2009
Hello all. i have just joined tom's hardware and i know i am going to get great help here. I have a sweet antec 900 gaming case and i am looking for a PSU that will fit with it. Now when i say fit i mean a PSU that has a long enough motherboard connector to reach the motherboard. I am looking at getting a MSI X58 Pro LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard. I have been looking at PSUs with 900 to 950 watts. anyone out there have any ideas or have a 900 gaming case what PSU did you use? Thank you for your time and allthe help

High quality power supplies such as Seasonic, Corsair, and PC Power & Cooling psu's have power cables that are long enough for the Antec 900. All three brands earn consistently high marks in technical reviews and comparisons. They're also the brands most often recommended by veteran posters at this forum. The manufacturers of cheap low quality psu's take shortcuts. That includes short cables.

Is there any particular reason you are looking at a 900 to 950 watt power supply?
What are the other components?
Are you a hardcore gamer into serious overclocking?

Here is a link to a power supply calculator:

http://www.antec.outervision.com/

The results will be for an entire pc. In additon the results will be overestimated because there are a lot of low quality psu's of questionable performance that people insist on buying.

kentsfield

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2009
i'm having the same case.. and corsair tx 750 w.. its powerfull enough i think..

but.. 900 have p supply down, so u have a lot of cables.. belive me i know..
i recommend u tx 750

Willpower

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2009
I went to antec website and found out i really just need a 500 to 600 watt power supply, not 900 watt. I was thinking i would need a strong PSU. But with antec site it seems kind of low in the wattage for having 2 9800 GT video cards, the specs on the cards say 400 watts per card. so wouldn't i need a stronger PSU. No i dont have any plans of overclocking...not yet. I will check out the places you suggest. I was looking at the http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371016 antec PSU.

Willpower,

Two 9800 GTX video cards operating in dual SLI mode use a total of 260 watts and 22 amps at full load.

The source of the information is the recent article about actual video card power requirements here at Tom's hardware. There's still a link to the article on the home page. The power usage chart is on page 6.

The specs on the individual cards are probably total computer system requirements.

A pair of 9800 GT's[/] needs about 12 v @ 12 amps for both cards. 10 amps for an OC'd CPU. Figure 4 amps for 2 HD's and 1 DVD drive and an amp for case fans. That's about 27 amps at 12 volts. So, yes. A good 400 watt PSU will work. It won't leave you much for upgrading, though.

Kiwigamer

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2009
Thanks for the link to that cool PSU power calculator, although... am I using it wrong?
Here are my results (this is... or at least pretty close to my knowledge of what my dream PC would use)

System Type: Quad Processor
Motherboard: High End - Desktop
CPU: Intel Core i7 920 2667 MHz Bloomfield
Overclocked: 4000 MHz, 1.4 V
CPU Utilization (TDP): 85% TDP
RAM: 3 Sticks DDR3 SDRAM
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 285
Video Type: SLI
SATA HDD: 3 HDDs

Blu-Ray Internal Drive: 1 Drive
DVD-RW/DVD+RW Drive: 1 Drive
Additional PCI Card (avg): 1 Card
USB: 6 Devices
Fan Controller: Yes
Fans
Regular: 1 Fan 250mm;
LED: 4 Fans 120mm;
High Performance: 1 Fan 120mm;
Keyboard and mouse: Yes
System Load: 90 %
Capacitor Aging (+ W %): 35 %

Recommended Wattage: 1766 Watts

Kiwigamer - The system type is incorrect. It should have been single socket - which means just one cpu on the motherboard. You selected quad socket which means four cpu's on the motherboard. That's not the same as a quad core cpu which is one cpu that has four cores.