When i build my new PC, im re-using current Hard Drive? what do i do?

aj95

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2008
ok. i read that if i re-use a current hard drive with OS already installed i will have to re-install the OS. will it let me? or will i have to buy a new OS? im running on Windows Vista Home Basic - 32 Bit. what will i have to do? step by step. thanks!

aj95

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2008

lol, man, ive been waiting for a reply for like 30 mins. but yeah i guess ill check again tomarrow.
but yeah i really wanna know.

croc

Distinguished
BANNED
Sep 14, 2005

It is easier by far to just do a re-install.

You can try to remove all of the applicable old system drivers, re-boot and install the new ones. You might need to do some registry editing to get all the old stubs out if there are still some issues. Successfully did that once, finally got a sort-of clean OS running, but... I spent two days, and the system just wasn't as stable as I'd like, so did a re-install anyway. With XP, new install or old OS, you'll need to call the friendly M$ staff and get a new key. Vista, unless you have retail version you'll likely need to get a new copy.

starman27

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2008
If I have a hard drive with info on it already, and want to use it in my new build, but have no way of cleaning it, can I reinstall XP on it by plugging it into my new build even though I haven't wiped it?

starman27

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2008
I don't want the stuff on my harddrive, just wanted to make sure I could make a clean install without wiping the harddrive on my own first.

Sorry for hijacking your thread aj95.

XP Home Basic is an OEM operating system that shipped on new computers such as Dell, Compaq.

It is intended for use on the original system only.

From http://support.microsoft.com/kb/824125

Users who run a Microsoft Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) operating system may upgrade or replace most of the hardware components on the computer and still maintain the license for the original Microsoft OEM operating system software provided by the OEM, with the exception of an upgrade or a replacement of the motherboard. An upgrade or a replacement of the motherboard is considered to create a new personal computer. Therefore, Microsoft OEM operating system software cannot be transferred from another computer. If the motherboard is upgraded or replaced for reasons other than a defect then a new computer is created, and a new operating system license is required. If the motherboard is replaced because of a defect, the user does not need to acquire a new operating system license for the computer. The motherboard replacement must be the same make and model, or the same manufacturer’s replacement or equivalent, as defined by that manufacturer’s warranty. The reason for this licensing rule primarily relates to the end-user license agreement (EULA) and the support of the software covered by that EULA. The EULA is a set of usage rights granted to the end-user by the computer manufacturer. The EULA relates only to rights for that software as installed on that particular computer. The System Builder is required to support the software on that individual computer.

When you install the OS on a new system, assuming you have an installation disc, you will be asked to activate your copy of XP. MS will essentially compare your old motherboard to the new one, and then tell you to phone them.

When you call, they might let you re-activate if you say the MB was fried and out of warranty... maybe.

If it is an OEM version of the software, you cannot move it to another PC.
If you have retail version, you can reinstall it.
Simply hook up the HDD, boot with the Windows CD or DVD and do a new install. At a point during the intial part of the install,(not the very first where it asks you if you want to use the recovery console or what ever, just say you want a new install initially) Windows will start running the install program, and find that you already have an OS on the drive, it will ask you if you want to try and repair the current installation, or continue with a new installation. At this point it will warn you that continuing with a new installation will result in all the information on the drive to be lost. (In other words it is going to do a quick format and write over everything on the drive).
Here at this point you may choose to do the repair install, which actually works pretty well, but it is not perfect. I would suggest that you save anything you want before removing the drive from the old system, and then just doing a new install, if you have the retail version of the OS.

aj95

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2008

ok i see what u mean. ok lets say i DO format my disk, and boot up my new machine with the wiped disk. all i have currently for vista to install is the Emachines Operating system disk. ( its vista basic 32 bit ) will it ONLY work for eMachines systems?

if i cannot remove all the old drivers, what if i format my hard drive, install vista on it then put the hard drive in the new pc with ONLY vista installed? would this work?

aj95

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2008
1 more thing, if i just boot up the new computer with the Hard Drive installed in it ( no changes at all ) what would it be telling me? and if i do format my drive would it let me install vista using the Emachines Operating System Disk?

aj95

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2008

its alright, im just looking for an answer. :eek:

You both have the same problem. OEM operating systems that MS will likely not validate again.

You will be able to re-install, or do a "repair installation" (Google it) and that will probably get the machine booted. At that point Vista will want to validate... communicate with MS. If you fail to allow this within a certain time frame, the installation will stop working.

aj95

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2008

wait, when you said communicate with ms vista or me? if its me then what do i tell them? and what do u mean when u say: If you fail to allow this within a certain time frame, the installation will stop working.

wdcook

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2008
I had the same question, but mine wasn't a copy that came with a prebuilt system. It was one I purchased from new egg a while ago.

I know if you have a Emachine, Compaq, Dell or whatever name brand PC your OEM copy is bound to other Emachine, Compaq, w/e machines but from what I have read other places and from the response I got on my post in the "XP forums" they say as long as your OEM copy is not a pre bound copy to those systems you can change it over.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/238173-45-reuse-windows-home

I'm bring this up because Proximon said before knowing if his OS was Dell, Compaq, w/e said that you cannot change. From what I read he hasn't said if it was from a old Dell or something else.

aj95

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2008

hey, thanks for that i appreciate it.

aj95

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2008
so when i put my new PC altogether ( with the current hard drive installed )
what is the first thing i should do? format it ( with old pc ) and try to install windows on it with the CD? or put it in my new pc and see what happens when i attempt to boot it up?

thanks in advance. =)

croc

Distinguished
BANNED
Sep 14, 2005
Have you determined yet if you have an OEM os or retail? If OEM, you are probably wasting time...

In either case, I'd get the MFG's tools, and burn a bootable CD, copy the tools onto it, make the cd / dvd drive first in boot order, then do a full format with the MFG's tools.

Why? They will check every cluster, re-write the bad cluster map, and usually issue a report if the drive is damaged beyond acceptable limits to use for an RMA.

Time consuming? Yes, but how often does one do this? Fresh system, fresh drive, good to go. Patience yields long term dividends.

Google did a drive analysis a few years' back. It was interesting in its findings, as it covered many thousands of drives from many MFG's. In 24 / 7 use, the peak drive failure was around 3 years. If a drive went past that timeline, failure rate flattened out for the five to seven year timeline, then rolled off pretty fast. Useless information to you, perhaps.