Powercut, no post until restart computer again.

ShortRef

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2007
Hi

We had a powercut on Sunday (the whole area) and I think its now causing my computer problems.

After the power cut on Sunday I turned my computer on and it was fine.

I turned it on on Monday and it gave no picture or post beep (keyboard/mouse lights wernt on either). I restarted it and it booted fine.

Same thing happened again on Monday and Today, first time boot no picture or post beep, second time its fine.

If I turn off the computer, and turn it on it boots fine (It only seems to happen when the computer is off for a long time).

I have no idea what to do

:??:

Thanks

(motherboard: gigabyte EP35-DSeL
ram: crucial ballistix 1066mhz
gfx card: nvidia 8800gts
powersupply: 600watt, dont know the brand)

copenhagenlc

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2007
Sounds like your powersupply can be bad, might want to take it to your local computer shop and hook it into a powersupply tester if you dont own one.

reborne_33

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2009
Yup... Sounds like the power cut killed the PSU... It happens. With the ATX standard, the PSU is never truly OFF (as in isolated from the mains supply). It stays in standby talking to the mobo on the +5VSB (I think), waiting for the mobo to report that the button on the front panel has been pressed. At that point it fires up and supplies power down all it's rails.

This means that a sudden spike, of the sort that goes on the mains supply either immediately before or, more likely as the power comes back on can pop an ATX PSU.

I always buy PSUs with a hard switch on the rear... (Two of my machines are protected behind UPSes) When the power goes down, I isolate the PSu form the mains with this hard switch and only re-apply power once the mains voltage has stabilised. (About 5-10 minutes after the power comes back on in the worst case scenario.) That way, the supply doesn't get hit by the spike when mains power is restored.

TRENDING THREADS