Sign in with
Your question

DVD Drive won't read DVD movies but reads all other DVD

Last response: in Storage
May 31, 2010 11:46:21 AM

When I place in one of my normal DVD's with memory burnt onto it, it will read it fine, but when I insert a DVD movie into the DVD drive, it won't load. I tried countless movies but it won't read on my drive. Please help and sorry if I posted in wrong section, I'm quite new to this website.
May 31, 2010 3:35:10 PM

Install either VLC or KLite codec pack full
a b G Storage
May 31, 2010 10:55:51 PM

you don't need a codec pack to watch commercial dvd's

go to device manager, right click the drive, and see what region it is set to. (beware this setting can only be changed a limited number of times)
Related resources
a b G Storage
June 1, 2010 7:05:24 AM

If you are running Windows XP then you need to install a codec to view DVD videos. Vista and Windows 7 have this built in. As stated by Simon12 check the regional coding. If that doesn’t work then you can try deleting the upper and lower filters.

http://support.microsoft.com/gp/cd_dvd_drive_problems

If you still can’t get it to work then get another DVD drive.
June 1, 2010 10:03:48 AM

505090 said:
you don't need a codec pack to watch commercial dvd's

go to device manager, right click the drive, and see what region it is set to. (beware this setting can only be changed a limited number of times)

Sorry for my late reply and thank you for the responses. Anyway I have K-Lite Codec pack, thats only for other specific codecs. My drive is set to region 4. So would I have to change the region to say Australia, since I'm from Australia? or to another certain country?
a b G Storage
June 1, 2010 5:06:49 PM

region 4 is australia

you can try the troubleshooter above or I have heard of people deleting the upper and lower filters in the registry. never had to do it myself so you'll have to look up the process
July 5, 2010 11:17:11 AM

I THINK CHECK UR WRITER ON OTHER SYSTEM OR U CHECK WITH SOME OTHER WRITER ON UR SYSTEM. IF PROBLEM PERSISTS THEN IT IS CLEARLY UR SYSTEM OR SETTINGS PROBLEM OF REGION OR STH ELSE. TRY USING VLC OR WINDVD SOFTWARE. CODECS HAVE NO ROLL HERE IF U CAN PLAY THEM FROM UR HARDDISK THEN ETH IS FINE BUT IT IS ONLY REGION OR WRITER PROBLEM
!