Hitting 62c prime 95 with a new heatsink/fan

tuesday0180

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2009
Bought a new coolermaster n520 today. Just ran prime 95's torture test on all 4 cores. The temperature hit 63celsius and I turned it off.

I'm using Phenom II X4 955be @3.7GHZ with 1.4vcore.

I tried 3.8ghz with 1.4/1.425/1.45 and it all blue screened.

Are my temperatures correct? On my stock heatsink I was hitting 63celsius in prime95 at 3.6ghz.

I used the thermal grease that came with the heatsink. I spread it out very thinly. Did I do something wrong here? Are my tempreatures still too high?

My motherboard temps are 32c. Does that mean ambient?

<smile> It means there was no plastic bit on the copper pad. ;) :na:

Clearly the heatsink is working properly.

xxenergyxx

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2009

Uh Tuesday. If you want more help with overclocking go to Overclock.net

NO, 62 ish under 100% load Isn't fine for a 24/7/365 overclock on your 955 CPU. Do you have C3 or C2 version?

Well, if you have a c3, you can see the maximum temperature is http://products.amd.com/en-us/DesktopCPUDetail.aspx?id=618&f1=&f2=&f3=&f4=&f5=&f6=&f7=&f8=&f9=&f10=&f11=&f12=

You definately don't want to run at the maximum temp listed by AMD for the Phenom II x4 955 24/7/365....

MOST PEOPLE, (everyonewith an AMD CPU 955 or 965) will tell you NOT to EXCEED 55°C under 100% load.

You can even view the stickguide by "4ryan6" here about overclock the Phenom II black editions where he states this. They will also say generally not to exceed the 1.55 CPU voltage.

Everyone will also tell you to use a different thermal compound than the stock. I use artic silver 5.

Did you read guides to apply it properly?

You know what will help your temps? less voltage, did you lower your voltage ONE INTERVAL lower in BIOS to see what the lowest Voltage CPU you can supply for 3.7ghz and it Will PASS PRIME95?

lET US KNOW

tuesday0180

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2009

I'm using the C3 version. i always exceed 55c even when I don't overclock. This happens when I play bad company 2. I don't think I applied it properly. I spread it out with a business card. I read a few articles today that said I should use the heat sink to swirl it around to avoid air bubbles. I'm using 1.4vcore right now @3.7ghz with this new heatsink. . When I was on 3.6ghz on stock heatsink I was using 1.375 vcore and it was stable.

I just ordered another heatsink off newegg. This time I got a larger heatsink, the sunbeam 120mm. I also ordered a little tube of arctic silver 5. It should arrive in a day or two so I'll post back once it does.

xxenergyxx

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2009
K. Awesome. I have a 965 c3 version.

Yeah, exceeding 55C not overclocked is really high, I idle at 32C with no overclock (stock 3.4ghz) and load around low 40's with a Xigmatek Dark knight cooler. It has a 120mm fan on it. 1.4 vcore with 3.7ghz isnt bad at all, I'm running the smae thing at the moment.

It's your temperatures that seem to high. If you read my above post or any of the guides for overclocking on tomshardware.co.uk or overclock.net, you will see they dont EVER recommend going over 1.55volts as you can fry your CPU, or even 1.45 for a 24/7 overclock. Also, they recommend not exceeding 55C for 100% load temps, since this is near the safe end of AMDs listed 62C limit.

There are a bunch of guides out there man and I'm trying to learn more aswell as you, I came from a Intel Core 2 Quad so I feel you.

Be weary though, People like to say different things as there is diffrent methods for overclocking out there, and tell you certain #s to input, without realizing EVERY chip is different. So be weary of the advice you get off these forums etc...

tuesday0180

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2009

100% load on all four cores on prime 95 is 63celsius for me. It's probably higher than that, but once it hit 63 I get scared and stop the stress test.

What part of the world do you live in? I'm in california.

tuesday0180

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2009
Wow I don't see how you can get 49c. That's totally good. I hit 58c while gaming. When gaming it's not even 100% load either. I don't think it's an airflow issue either since I have a Coolermater haf 932 case.

isamuelson

Distinguished
Energy is correct regarding the Phenom II X4 955 series. I know with my Phenom II X3 720 BE, the max is 73°C but with all 4 cores running overclocked from 2.8ghz to 3.61ghz, my temps are around 30°C idle to around 55°C max load. The cpu temps that are reported are 42°C to 65°C, but for some reason, my motherboard reports those around 10° to 15° higher than the actual core CPU temp.

My ambient temperature hovers around 38°C.

I would clean off your CPU and heat sink and apply new thermal paste and reseat the heat sink and see if that helps.

BTW, you shouldn't use the stock cooler for overclocking. You really need to go and buy a 3rd party heat sink cooler. I use the Cooler Master Hyper 212+ and it does wonders as per my temp readings I gave above. When I tried it with the stock cooler (just to see what would happen), I was lucky to keep it under 50°C with the stock cooler. Not a good thing.

tuesday0180

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2009

I just bought a new cooler yesterday that's why I'm concerned about the lack of decrease in temperature. I have the coolermaster n520. I have also ordered a 120mm sunbeam heatsink/fan. It should arrive tomorrow with some arctic 5 thermal.

I think I may have did a bad job applying the thermal paste. I used a business card to spread it rather than squishing it with a heatsink to let it spread itself and avoid air bubbles.

I don't think you did a great job mounting the HS. I tried the spreading method twice, but results are better with blobs. My best results have been to put a larger blob in the middle, with a small one closer to each corner. Make sure you screw down the bracket evenly, not just 1 screw at a time. Also, if you take it off, check the HS for contact... possibly it's not flat and you need to do some lapping. Lapping is mostly worthwhile anyway, but it might actually be required here. My CPU was totally not flat and really, really needed it. I can't comment on the temps of your CPU since I have an i5 750, but I can say that comparably I don't hit higher than 62C with LinX at 3.8ghz. At 3.6ghz it's more like low/mid 50s.

xxenergyxx

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2009
I use HWmonitor to monitor temps and core temp.

But like Isamuelson said, my motherboard's BIOS actually reports CPU temperatures about 4 degrees Celcius higher than HWMonitor or Core temp.

Yes, you might want to try reapplying the thermal paste if you have a HAF 932 and are getting those temps. HAF stands for "High Air Flow" so you shouldn't be getting those temps. lol.

BTW, there usually instructions, OFFICIAL instructions, on how to apply the thermal compound on the thermal compounds website.

For example, Artic Silver 5 has a .pdf file on there website for how to apply their compound to AMD CPU's.

They recommend "tinting" or spreading some AS5 on the Heatsink where it will make contact with the CPU metal plate. A very thin amount spread out with Credit Card.

Then they state to place a small dot, about the size of an uncooked grain of rice, on the middle of the CPU metal plate. Then press the Heatsink firmly against the CPU metal plate and move it to the left and right everyso slightly, just to remove any possible air bubbles.

There is a video on youtube too, that shows how much air bubbles are left with different thermal compounds, here check it out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EyXLu1Ms-q4

So re-apply that thermal paste, mount your CPU cooler with fan, and Make sure your Airflow is GOOD. Get any Power supply cables out the way and run them through the back of the motherboard tray.

Check out your stock 3.2ghz temperatures and then let us know and proceed to overclock.

Hopefully that will help you alot.

*Oh and I forgot to state than anytime you apply thermal compound, you want to remove the old compound and then use a Purifier.

xxenergyxx

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2009

I live in Chicago, IL.

And, I talk to people on www.Overclock.net that have load 100% temperatures of high 40's with 3.8 and 3.9 ghz lol, so the temps are relative. I mean, there is generally a broard area of a Clock rate people hit with an associating temperature, but there are so many variables involved.

TRENDING THREADS