Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Can't Update to Windows 7 SP1

Last response: in Windows 7
Share
September 12, 2011 3:26:51 PM

Okay, I just got Windows 7 Enterprise N about a week ago. It is for my computer networking class, our teacher also gave us a bit more other software and I am trying to find out what I am doing wrong. I have installed and ran the precursor software from microsoft.com to make sure that my computer is able to use SP1 and I don't have any problems in my registry. It is an official, licensed version and registered, and all the other updates work. I have manually downloaded and tried to install it and still nothing. Where do I start on troubleshooting this?

More about : update windows sp1

a c 352 $ Windows 7
September 12, 2011 8:10:26 PM

Exactly what happens when you try to run the update?
m
0
l
September 13, 2011 1:36:17 AM

It just stops and says windows cannot install this update, then it gives me a link to download the pre install tool to check and prep my windows, and I ran that and all checked out.
m
0
l
Related resources
September 13, 2011 1:49:08 AM

Try this:
Quote:
Rename the 'Software Distribution folder':
a) Click the Start Button, click 'All programs, and click on 'Accessories'.
b) Next Right click on the 'Command Prompt' option and then click 'Run as administrator'.
c) In the 'Command Prompt' window enter: net stop Wuauserv and press the 'Enter' key.
d) Next click the Start/Orb button in the taskbar, in the 'Search' box, enter: %windir% and press the 'Enter' key.
e) In Windows Explore view, search for and locate the folder named "SoftwareDistribution".
f) Right click on the folder and select the 'Rename' option and change the name to: SoftwareDistributionOld
g) Close Windows Explorer and in Command Prompt window enter: net start Wuauserv and press the 'Enter' key.
h) Wait for the "Windows Update Service has successfully" before exiting/closing the command prompt window.
i) If you open Windows Explorer you should see that new "SoftwareDistribution" folder has been created.

m
0
l
a b $ Windows 7
September 13, 2011 1:52:34 AM

I've had a similar issue before. SP1 just wouldn't install for windows 7. Eventually though, i just made sure windows update could connect and just left it. After a while it just updated itself (I can't remember how long it took).

There's been a known issue with SP1 not installing correctly on some computers, mine was one of them.

I think the issue somehow stemmed from a previous .net install, on mine at least.
m
0
l
September 13, 2011 1:59:22 AM

if the step I posted earilier doesn't work do that:

Quote:
Method 2
If that doesn't work then you can try to stop the Automatic Update service and clear out the previously downloaded files and cache.

Open the Services console by clicking on Start, Run and typing in services.msc and clicking Ok. Stop the Automatic Update service by right clicking on it and choosing Stop.

Open My Computer or Windows Explorer and make sure that hidden files and folders are shown.

Navigate to WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\Download and delete all the files within this folder. Then navigate to WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\EventCache and delete all the files in there as well.

In the Services console, start the Automatic Update service by right clicking on it and choosing Start. You may also want to check its properties and make sure it is set to Automatic for startup type.

Download the latest version of the Windows Update Agent (http://download.windowsupdate.com/v7/windowsupdate/redi...) and save it to your desktop.

Close your web browser and any other open programs and double click the WindowsUpdateAgent30-x86.exe file to run it.

If you get a message saying that the Update Agent is already installed, then click on Start, Run and then click the Browse button and navigate to where WindowsUpdateAgent30-x86.exe was saved on your desktop and click on it one time. Click on the Open button and in the Open line, click once on WindowsUpdateAgent30-x86.exe file so its highlighted. Click after the last quotation mark in the line and enter /wuforce after the last quotation mark so it looks something like "C:\Documents and Settings\username\Desktop\WindowsUpdateAgent30-x86.exe" /wuforce. Click Ok to install the Windows Update Agent

Finally download the KB927891 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927891) update to your desktop.

Close all open programs and install the update.

Restart your computer and try downloading and installing Windows updates again. If your computer already has some updates that were downloaded during the time you were performing the above steps, cancel them and download them again from scratch.
m
0
l
September 13, 2011 6:57:17 PM

Thank you all for the help, I am busy with work and school on and off today but I will try all solutions posted and get back before the week is out. Thanks.
m
0
l
September 14, 2011 1:22:56 AM

The first bit didn't help MrBig, and the second one I couldn't find one for windows 7. All the ones they had to download were for xp, 2000, and server 2003. Also, when I downloaded the windowsupdateagent, I tried to run it and it said windows agent update has encountered an unrecoverable error. I also had no way to do the /wuforce thing. But I could be doing it wrong. I went to the run/browse area and navigated to the file, highlighted it, and in the open line I tried to add the /wuforce but it said it couldn't locate the file.
m
0
l
a c 395 $ Windows 7
September 14, 2011 1:25:36 AM

I had this same issue,then one day it just updated with no issues!
m
0
l
!