Video Card Running a bit too hot

CcXD

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2006
I bought a Laptop, Asus motherboard (was custom built, and has no manufacturer). Its been working fine for about a year now, but lately ive noticed that the temperature in the video card goes really high (about 80-83 deg C) in idle mode. Then if i open something like a game, the temperature of the GPU goes to 100!!!! I put some really powerful fans underneath it, and the temp just stayed at 80 deg C in Idle mode, and 92 while running a game. Im using SpeedFan to measure the temperature. Heres my pc specs:
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo 2.2 GHz
RAm: 2gig
Mainboard: Asus
GPU: nVidia GeForce go 8600, 256 MB

Is the temperature just fine, or is it too hot? I have a laptop stand wit 2 12V fans underneath it blowing directly at it.

The CPU temp is 56 deg and HD is about 45deg. Im just wondering why the big difference (could it be a wrong reading from the software?)

any thoughts are appreciated, thanks!

ron860

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2009
I would say that it is way too hot and there is a problem somewhere. I have an Asus IPIBL-LB in an OEM HP Pavillion which I just recently upgraded to an Intel Core 2 Quad Q9400, Thermaltake 500W Power Supply, and PNY Verto NVIDIA Verto GeForce 9500 GT Video Card. All was fine for three months with playing games or graphics rendering until recently when a game I was playing started to become jumpy and hestitant, like going into slow motion.
I checked the temperature on the GPU with SpeedFan and it was reading 100c!
This is not a normal operating temperture and nothing I do (adding fans, placing it near a cold drafty window, etc.) will bring the temp down.
Does anyone else have any suggestions other than getting another GPU?
Thanks.

cfvh600

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2007

Perhaps the internal heatsink and fan on the GPU is clogged up with dust and needs to be cleaned with compressed air.