Sign in with
Your question

What does a Nforce chipset number really mean!

Last response: in Motherboards
April 21, 2009 2:19:02 PM

Hi everyone,
I am looking the buy a sli motherboard with a Nforce chipset for the AMD cpu. I want to buy the fastest cpu around the phemon x4 2.7 or higher. I noticed that looking around at some on the pc stores the nforce chipset number varies from 470 -870 and higher. does anyone have an idea on these numbered chipsets. I right by saying that the higher the number on the chipset ,the faster the chipset will help the cpu and other components run to their full capacity. I want to build a nice gaming rig and i dont want to mess up the configuation of the performance ,like i did when i had a p4 pc.

any help would be appreiated

More about : nforce chipset number

a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
April 21, 2009 4:35:24 PM

The higher numbers indicate later model boards, with support for diffrent hardware (AGP versus PCI-E, type/amount of RAM, CPU support, etc).

Example: the 780a board is the equivalent of the P45/X48 generation of intels boards. The 790a supports DDR3 RAM instead of DDR2 like most other boards, etc.
April 21, 2009 4:57:15 PM

thanks Gamerk316 ,

I have been looking around the stores on the internet and i came across a xfx series7 750a nforce chipset SLI ,also the cpu is a phemon x4 9950 .The company says that the cpu will fit and run on this board . Only thing is that this motherboard only run the speed of the ram to 800 and not 1066 or higher.

should this combo of board and cpu run well for a new gamer like me.

motherboard info link :

http://www.xfxforce.com/en-us/products/motherboards/7se...

cpu info link:

http://www.bttech.com.au/amd-phenom-x4-quad-p-20656.htm...

cheers
Related resources
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
April 21, 2009 8:15:14 PM

I admit i'm not much good when it comes down to individual mobo's. My take is that setup would leave no upgrade path; Phenom I's weren't the best chips to begin with, hence why Phenom II's came out so quickly. A Phenom II setup isn't that much more expensive anyway...

I think the nforce 800+ series should support PhenomII chips; you will probably want to confirm with someone else first though.
a c 87 à CPUs
a c 96 V Motherboard
April 21, 2009 8:53:52 PM

The 6xx boards were junk, the 7xx boards less so. The biggest problem with these boards is they ran fine stock, but you could lose your harddrive info if you overclocked. (I think the problem was fixed when the 750 "FTW" boards came out.) I'm no expert on Nvidia boards after 6/7xx, but I also believe the 8 series are the ones you want. The 6/7 don't support PhII as far as I'm aware of, and you don't want the PhI. Frankly I wouldn't bother with the Nvidia chipsets at all. Get a nice 790 chipset from AMD and be happy.
April 22, 2009 10:29:51 AM

thanks guys your comments are very useful and gives me abit more of an understanding of some of these motherboards. I first looked at the SLI motherboards and at the same website where i can purchase the xfx sli board ,i came across this motherboard from ASUS. Its called the M4A78T-E AM3 790GX HT5200 , it is am3 will this still take the AMD PHENOM II 720 TRIPLE-CORE 2.8GHz

regards mike
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
April 22, 2009 2:37:27 PM

For an AMD proccy I'd be very much inclined to buy an AMD chipset, rather than nVidia, and go with a Crossfire setup rather than SLI.
April 22, 2009 4:08:38 PM

Interesting Scott! tell me do you think using a amd chipset will be the better combo than the nforce! also whats the differece between sli and crossfire. I have been looking at both configuations and trying to decide which path to take. I heard that the crossfire may use more PSU power than the sli. This is a gaming pc that i am building ,and i rather performance . I will not be OC the videocards!!!! my interests are 2x sappire ati 4870 512mg or the evga 9800gtx 512mg
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
April 22, 2009 5:27:16 PM

SLI = Nforce + X58 (if certified)
Crossfire = Any Non-Nforce (counting X58)
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
April 22, 2009 7:11:13 PM

In the simplest terms: Crossfire does the exact same thing that SLI does, except with ATI video cards.

The reason for my recomendation is that you wanted an AMD Processor. nVidia's recent chipset efforts haven't been the most trouble free, though they have gotten much much better than the 6XX series. And if you use an AMD processor on an AMD chipset motherboard, then your best bet for a multi~card graphics setup then becomes Crossfire with ATI cards.
!