Sign in with
Your question

Intel Matrix Storage Manager repeated volume degraded

Last response: in Storage
May 31, 2010 5:34:52 PM

Intel Matrix Storage Manager 8.9 with ICH9 Raid Controller.
Set to Raid 1.
Randomly, sometimes several times per week, will report "Raid Drive degraded"
Can be on EITHER Port 0 or Port 1 - no particular pattern here.
Right click the bad drive, select "Mark as Normal"
Mirroring rebuilds in about an hour. All is well till next time.
First go around I was faked into believing that one of the drives failed, but I don't think so.
Rebuild works fine. Next occurance may be other drive. Both failing same week - astronomical odds.

What is Storage Manager seeing that makes it think a drive is bad? Can't find a log...

Thanks

Blugandy
a b G Storage
May 31, 2010 9:49:37 PM

Are you using RAID-compatible HDDs? If not, then there may be a r/w delay causing IMSM to believe the RAID is degraded.
a b G Storage
May 31, 2010 10:15:45 PM

afaik almost no pays the extra money for "raid" drives, except in servers.

is it possible to run chkdsk or smart software on drives in a raid array
Related resources
June 1, 2010 8:26:36 AM

treefrog07 said:
Are you using RAID-compatible HDDs? If not, then there may be a r/w delay causing IMSM to believe the RAID is degraded.

The HDD's and IMSM were sold as a bundle/package by HP.
I have assumed that they chose software compatable with the hardwaere they bundled.
Thanks,
Ed
Anyone else using IMSM? Where are the logs?
June 1, 2010 8:29:38 AM

Raid level 1 was selected due to prior experience with HDD failure.
Guess I'm not almost no one.
Both disks are good per chkdsk.

Thanks,
June 1, 2010 4:23:14 PM

I think this is a fairly common problem:

TOPIC: matrix manager say drive failed, seagate drive test software says no it isn't
http://communities.intel.com/thread/4432?start=0&tstart...

TOPIC: Random drive fails with new Matrix Storage Manager 8.9
http://communities.intel.com/thread/5036?start=0&tstart...

I experienced it yesterday and today and did not yet know about "mark as normal". After verifying my drive as OK using manufacturer's diagnostic tool, I started to rebuild and then the other drive dropped out when the rebuild was 97% complete. So now I think this array is completely hosed.
June 6, 2011 10:49:51 AM

My RAID shows degraded about once a month. I delete it and then rebuild it. Took me quite a while to figure out how to do that since the nvidia control panel software didn't always show the storage component.

Having to rebuild has finally gotten to the point that I may just skip the RAID and backup more frequently. I use an online backup service so I should be OK if I do have a drive failure.

I'm curious if you ever found a solution to the degradation problem or if you just build whenever the status shows degraded.
!