Sign in with
Your question

(2) UNIVERSAL Serial Bus Controllers shown in XP Device Manager

Last response: in Windows XP
May 19, 2011 8:35:08 PM

Hi-(2) Universal Serial Bus Controller directories are shown in my DEVICE MANAGER in XP Pro. One USB Controller shows an "!" next to "ULi PCI to USB Enhanced Host Controller".

I am unable to delete the "ULi PCI to USB Enhanced Host Controller" and get a BSOD and "physical memory" dump message instead.

When I double click on my CD drive, I receive the message "must configure hardware" in Device Manager.

Question: is this a Virus or Trojan affecting my USB ports, or some other hardware problem?

Ive installed ALL Drivers from the Manufacturers mobo CD and still receive this "!".

What is the recommendation to fix this problem?

Thank you.

My rig: DFI LanParty mobo, with AMD 64 X2 4400 CPU, and Enermax 650 W PSU, and XP Pro SP3, with (1) SSD root drive, and (3) SATA HDDs, and (1) DVD-RW drive.
May 19, 2011 8:51:01 PM

What is the model of your LP motherboard?

It came with a driver CD and in the CD are correct USB drivers.

m
l
May 19, 2011 9:03:33 PM

tigsounds said:
What is the model of your LP motherboard?

It came with a driver CD and in the CD are correct USB drivers.

It is the"U" version, built in 2006.

I installed ALL drivers from the driver CD and only the 'ULi PCI to USB Enhanced Host Controller is "!"'.

BTW, couldnt solve the USB Printing support error on my last post. I followed your suggestions explicitly and the error remained. So, I reformatted the HD and re-installed XP.

Also, now some CD's do not autostart and sometimes they do. Is this related to this problem or do you think another issue? I quite appreciate your help.

Thank you.
m
l
Related resources
May 19, 2011 9:31:58 PM

I have a Lanparty 790FX-MR2 board and the USB is quite messed up until the driver supplied is installed, which is part of the chipset driver, supplied by AMD.

The "U" series is not limited to just one board. There is the

UT 790FX-M2R
UT X58-T3eH8
UT P45-T3RS
UT X48-T2R
UT NF680i LT SLI-T2R
UT nF4 Ultra-D/G
UT P45-T2RS
UT X48-T3RS
UT P35-T2R
UT ICFX3200-T2R/G
UT NF590 SLI-M2R/G

so you have one of the above. Some have ATI chipsets and others are Intel or nVidia.

The BIOS may contain different USB standards to adhere to depending on what OS you install.

The CD ROM autoplay issue is solvable by first checking that autoplay is actually enabled for the drive.
Right-click the drive in Windows Explorer, Properties, AutoPlay tab.

m
l
May 19, 2011 9:45:48 PM

tigsounds said:
I have a Lanparty 790FX-MR2 board and the USB is quite messed up until the driver supplied is installed, which is part of the chipset driver, supplied by AMD.

UT 790FX-M2R
UT X58-T3eH8
UT P45-T3RS
UT X48-T2R
UT NF680i LT SLI-T2R
UT nF4 Ultra-D/G
UT P45-T2RS
UT X48-T3RS
UT P35-T2R
UT ICFX3200-T2R/G
UT NF590 SLI-M2R/G

so you have one of the above. Some have ATI chipsets and others are Intel or nVidia.

The BIOS may contain different USB standards to adhere to depending on what OS you install.

The CD ROM autoplay issue is solvable by first checking that autoplay is actually enabled for the drive.

Ill pull out my mobo manual when I get off work in about (3) hours. I recall a "CR" mobo family but will e you the exact family number in 2.5 hours. Thank you for taking an interest.
m
l
May 19, 2011 9:47:09 PM

tigsounds said:

UT 790FX-M2R
UT X58-T3eH8
UT P45-T3RS
UT X48-T2R
UT NF680i LT SLI-T2R
UT nF4 Ultra-D/G
UT P45-T2RS
UT X48-T3RS
UT P35-T2R
UT ICFX3200-T2R/G
UT NF590 SLI-M2R/G

BTW the mobo chipset is ATI and I use a NVIDIA 9500GT 1Gb to power my dual LED 24" displays.
m
l
May 20, 2011 1:58:41 PM

tigsounds said:

UT 790FX-M2R
UT X58-T3eH8
UT P45-T3RS
UT X48-T2R
UT NF680i LT SLI-T2R
UT nF4 Ultra-D/G
UT P45-T2RS
UT X48-T3RS
UT P35-T2R
UT ICFX3200-T2R/G
UT NF590 SLI-M2R/G

My mobo is:

LanParty UT
CFX3200-DR

Hope this helps and thank you for helping...
m
l
May 20, 2011 3:11:18 PM

The SMBus driver sometimes in not installed automatically when the chipset drivers are installed.

They are in their own folder within the ATI folder of your system drive, again, sometimes. Why did ATI do that? They should always be there. However if you don't have it, you can get it
HERE. They are manually installed.
m
l
May 20, 2011 3:27:14 PM

tigsounds said:
The SMBus driver sometimes in not installed automatically when the chipset drivers are installed.

They are in their own folder within the ATI folder of your system drive, again, sometimes. Why did ATI do that? They should always be there. However if you don't have it, you can get it

After installing the NVIDIA drivers from the driver CD, I saw an install for an ATI item--but did not install those as I thought that referred just to the video card drivers.

Is HAWKEYE's post and link something I should dload and install or just dload and install the drivers from the link you supplied?

Thank you.
m
l
May 20, 2011 3:56:02 PM

tigsounds said:

I "dont have permission" to access the link you posted....
m
l
May 20, 2011 4:00:59 PM

inquiring2011 said:
After installing the NVIDIA drivers from the driver CD, I saw an install for an ATI item--but did not install those as I thought that referred just to the video card drivers.

Is HAWKEYE's post and link something I should dload and install or just dload and install the drivers from the link you supplied?

Thank you.

If you have the necessary drivers on your CD, then go with those. I posted the CNET drivers as an alternative in case you did not already have the drivers.
m
l
May 20, 2011 4:05:02 PM

tigsounds said:

I installed the NVIDIA drivers from the drivers CD and Did NOT install the ATI drivers from the driver CD. The chipset on the mobo is ATI. Do I need to uninstall the NVIDIA drivers and then install the ATI drivers? Or, just install the ATI drivers from the drivers CD?

Thank you.
m
l
May 20, 2011 4:06:32 PM

inquiring2011 said:
I "dont have permission" to access the link you posted....

Install the chipset drivers from the CD that came with the MB
If the SMBus doesn't get installed then get it from my new link and install it too if you don't find them in the ATI folder of the system drive..
The ATI drivers should be installed before the nVidia.

Well I'll be, that's never happened before. try this...

ATI_SMBus.ZIP

Yes, DO install the driver Hawkeye22 referred you to. Mine is the SMBus, his is the USB driver, but see if they get installed from the mainboard CD first.

m
l
May 20, 2011 4:16:49 PM

tigsounds said:
Install the chipset drivers from the CD that came with the MB
If the SMBus doesn't get installed then get it from my new link and install it too if you don't find them in the ATI folder of the system drive..
The ATI drivers should be installed before the nVidia.

Well I'll be, that's never happened before. try this...

ATI_SMBus.ZIP

Yes, DO install the driver Hawkeye22 referred you to. Mine is the SMBus, his is the USB driver, but see if they get installed from the mainboard CD first.

ok-got it. As the NVIDIA drivers are already installed and the ATI drivers have NOT been installed, should I unistall the NVIDIA drivers somehow and then install the ATI drivers and after that, install the ATI drivers? Can I uinstall the NVIDIA drivers using the Control Panel?

Thank you.
m
l
May 20, 2011 4:24:19 PM

The nVidias drivers can stay. They just might work after the ATI drives are installed. You might need to re-install the nVidia drivers, but probably not.
m
l
May 20, 2011 4:33:57 PM

You'll be able to see if the SMBus got installed by looking in device manager under "System Devices"

It will be in the alphabetical list as "ATI SMBus"

If it didn't install you will have an unknown hardware entry with a yellow exclamation mark.
m
l
May 20, 2011 4:50:44 PM

inquiring2011 said:
Hello...the link you posted for cnet, when clicked, says this: "The domain uli.com.tw may be for sale by its owner!". Any other ideas? Thank you.

Yeah, I'm an idiot, lol! I didn't actually click the download button, but when I just did, I realized that Nvida bought out ULI back in '05. So, I guess nvidia would be maintaining drivers for them.
m
l
May 21, 2011 3:24:02 PM

tigsounds said:

I downloaded the ATI_SMBusati.cat and now see the SMBusati.cat and SMBUSati.inf files. Forgive me for asking but what is the best way to install each of these files? By the way, the ATI_SMBus.zip files WAS NOT included with the mobo manufacturers driver CD.

Thank you for your kind help.
m
l
May 21, 2011 6:56:43 PM

inquiring2011 said:
I downloaded the ATI_SMBusati.cat and now see the SMBusati.cat and SMBUSati.inf files. Forgive me for asking but what is the best way to install each of these files? By the way, the ATI_SMBus.zip files WAS NOT included with the mobo manufacturers driver CD.

Thank you for your kind help.

In order of ease....

To install, sometimes (not always) you can right-click the inf file and select "install"

Other times you need to right-click the 'unknown device' in device manager and 'update driver' by browsing to the inf file. This of course requires an unknown device to be showing in device manager.

Other times you must use 'add hardware' and keep clicking the general 'add another device' type answers and eventually get to the screen that shows "Have Disk" and browse to the inf file that way.

The SMBus files were not in your chipset drivers on the MB CD and this is not surprising. It's as I said... Why does ATI do that? A board is sold with their chipset, they should always include all the drivers associated with their chipset and they sometimes do, sometimes don't. It's a bad business practice.

BTW, the chipset drivers for the SMBus do not appear as a zip file in the ATI drivers. They appear in a sub-folder in the root of the system drive... C׃/ATI/support/{version}/SMBus... and even if they are there, they don't automatically get installed.

I put the two files in a zip file to make it possible to download them from 4Shared.com.
m
l
May 26, 2011 3:30:41 AM

The SMBusati.inf file does not provide an option to "install" when I right click on the file. Using the device manager and pointing to the SMBusati.inf file, Windows responds with " The specified location does not contain information about your hardware". The file C:\ATI\SUPPORT\6-2_xp-2k_dd_ccc_wdm_enu_30152 contains multiple exe files and folders.

Please help direct me to somehow complete the installation for the "Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host controller". I am confuzzled at this point. Also, I have (2) Universal Serial Bus Controllers shown in DEVICE MANAGER. Attempting to delete the 2nd USB Controller produces a BSOD.

Thank you kindly.

m
l
May 26, 2011 10:36:11 AM

The SMBus will come back to haunt you, and may be keeping your PCI to USB host controller from working.
Howerver, drivers for that controller are at Zdnet,
HERE.

That board has an AMD RD580 chipset. I don't understand the 3rd party USB error you encountered. It's as though that specific device shouldn't be there or isn't really there, but they error is definitely there.
AMD is a rotten company when it comes to supporting their own chipsets, or better put, they don't support their own chipsets. DFI doesn't have chipset downloads either.

Make sure your USB is setup correctly in the BIOS.

USB EHCI Controller Enabled
On Chip USB KBC Controller Enabled
Assign IRQ for USB Enabled
m
l
May 31, 2011 11:04:17 PM

The uli.com.tw site is unreachable or is in chinese. My Canon 4 in 1 errors a red led when start up with my rig occurs- Its USB bussed to the PC. Should I consider re-installing Windows XP to correct this USB error? Isnt there any other way?

Thank you kindly.

Appreciate your diligence. Dont know why these drivers were absent from the driver cd that came with the mobo??

tigsounds said:
The SMBus will come back to haunt you, and may be keeping your PCI to USB host controller from working.
Howerver, drivers for that controller are at Zdnet,
HERE.

That board has an AMD RD580 chipset. I don't understand the 3rd party USB error you encountered. It's as though that specific device shouldn't be there or isn't really there, but they error is definitely there.
AMD is a rotten company when it comes to supporting their own chipsets, or better put, they don't support their own chipsets. DFI doesn't have chipset downloads either.

Make sure your USB is setup correctly in the BIOS.

USB EHCI Controller Enabled
On Chip USB KBC Controller Enabled
Assign IRQ for USB Enabled

m
l
July 11, 2011 6:46:15 PM

I am unable to download the USB2.0 PCI to USB Enhanced Host Controller 5.1.2600.116 (Windows) from Zdnet as I receive a text page of characters unrelated to any download file.

I suspect that my logitech mouse freezes windows XP due to the lack of the USB2.0 PCI to USB Enhanced Host Controller 5.1.2600.116 (Windows) not installed in my rig.

Please direct me to a site or source that will provide an installable Uli to PCI enhanced host controller file so that I may eliminate what has been a frustrating freezing problem related to my Logitech VX Revolution mouse. I am also unable to install the latest Logitech set point software for this mouse that will update the mouse drivers (the mouse driver is now the Microsft HID device driver). Neither ZDnet nor ULI can provide the USB2.0 PCI to USB Enhanced Host Controller. I hope Im not stuck with an unsupported motherboard.

I appreciate any help that can once and for all remove this problematic issue remaining in my device manager.

Thank you.
m
l
!