Sign in with
Your question

New Card for me. any recommentions

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 7, 2009 7:58:49 PM

I want to buy a new graphics card. However, I would rather someone recommend me one because you guys most likely know which graphics card is best for World of WarCraft than I do. I only have a 305 watt Power Supply and would like to just stick with it because I do not want to mess with getting a new power supply on an old computer. I think I found a card that might work but I am not sure. Here is the name and URL: XFX PVT84JYAJG GeForce 8600 GT 512MB 128-bit GDDR2 PCI Express x16 SLI Supported Video Card http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
How well do you think the card I thought of will run WoW. I was told that a 4670 would work with my CPU. Would it really? If so, which brand? Need a good slim one and no worry about a price unliess it is gonna cost me 30 dollars extra or more. Also I would like to play on high quality and high performance, not to just buy a card just to "handle wow"

So, which one do you guys think is the best. Here Are my computer spec below :

[li]3.00 GHZ Pentium 4 Processor
3.00 GB of RAM
305 Watt Power Supply.
Dell Dimension E510
19" inch Monitor with a native resolution of 1280 x 1024
PCI Express x16 slot
(By the way, the only game I do play is World of Warcraft)
[/li]

(I currently run World of Warcraft at 1280 x 1024 resolution, texture resolution - high, terrain view - little less than half way, full screen glow effect is off, x1 multisampling, anitrophic filter is on the lowest and so is all the environmental settings, spell detail is half way, shadow quality is on the lowest as well. I get around 30-50 FPS questing and about 20-40 while raiding and pvp (That is with everyone fighting with a ATI x600 SE onboard graphics card)).

More about : card recommentions

January 7, 2009 9:40:47 PM

Its probely the best to stick wtih the 8600GT
a c 164 U Graphics card
a c 80 ) Power supply
January 7, 2009 9:55:48 PM

By slim I assume you mean a single slot? The 4670 is a better card then the 8600GT, I'd get that one. I doubt its more expensive. I'm not sure I'd go much higher then the 4670, the 3GHz P4 will start to hold you back. Speaking of which, which P4 do you have? Is it one with hyperthreading, or is it an actual P4D?
Related resources
January 7, 2009 10:31:57 PM

how can i check if it is hyperthreading or not. i think it does. i looked on google and it seems as if the dells e510s had them. what is hyperthreading?
January 7, 2009 10:33:41 PM

Yes i do have it. lol i just checked the sticker. i have it. offically. do i enable it or anything?
a c 164 U Graphics card
a c 80 ) Power supply
January 7, 2009 10:38:48 PM

No. I was just wondering which P4 we are dealing with. If you had one of the 8xx/9xx series P4s, I wouldn't worry so much about what GPU to buy. Performance was just a bit behind the AMD x2s, and ran hotter. The hyperthreaded P4s were behind the AMD x2s, but faster then the single core Athlons of the day. At some point the CPU will start to limit the speed of the video card you put into it. It should be fine however for 1280x1024, so I wouldn't worry to much about it.

!