eRae22

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2009
power supply burned up..yep, it was an Antec 400W. Burned/melted chip on bottom of Seagate Barracuda. Replaced psu, gphx card, still no video. Mobo led lit but thinking to replace it or cpu next. Should I replace the case?

eRae22

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2009

Thanks .. any advice on cpu/mobo replacement?

mike99

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
First step, disconnect/remove everything except CPU, motherboard and PSU. (leave heatsink and fan)
You should get continuous beeps (no memory found), if not, is PSU, motherboard or CPU. As PSU is new, motherboard most likely, followed by CPU. If it beeps, refit memory and rest again, keep adding bits until you find the problem. The PSU did not blow the chip on the HD, it is otherway round, faulty chip blew up your PSU. PSU should have tripped out. What CPU and graphics card? 400W is not very high rating.

Mike.

4745454b

Titan
While the drive still needs to be replaced, a bad drive won't stop the system from loading. If a chip melted, to much voltage went through the system. It could be either the Mobo or the CPU. The only way to tell is to try them both. At this point, you should take it to a shop and have them tell you.

BTW, which Antec 400W PSU was it? I'm guessing an older Smart Power?

eRae22

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2009
Right but he said he replaced all these parts and never mentioned the hdd.
I agree, take the cpu to a local shop and have them test it for you. If its fine, then the mobo is your problem.
Hope I wasn't rude; thought you were joking. I've just disregarded the hard drive for now. Testing with only graphic card and monitor. It will boot a new 'empty' SATA drive, at least it powers up and sounds like it's accessing it. Was just trying to get bios message. Is this incorrect troubleshooting?

eRae22

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2009

You're right on...Model SP-400. It came in the case I purchased. Replaced it with a 650W Corsair TX650W.

I only mentioned the disk because I thought it indicated an extreme power spike. I was worried about continuing to use the case.

If I were to replace the mobo and the cpu is bad, what is the possibility of damaging the new mobo with a burned out cpu?

4745454b

Titan
The SP line used capacitors from a company that failed over time. They are basically a ticking time bomb. Keeping them cool helps, but I don't think even that stop the bomb. You shouldn't have to worry about the case, unless its a brand new build. If you didn't put the standoffs in the correct place, then you can short out the board. This would have happened as soon as you tried to power it up, not all of a sudden one day. If you don't want to buy a brand new mobo/CPU, either have a shop test them, or borrow one of each from a friend.

eRae22

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2009

Thanks for your reply. Started as a bare-bones unit, Asus P5WD2 Premium, Intel Pentium D 830. power supply (Antec SP-400) came in case. Old graphics card is eVGA Geforce 6200, new graphics card is eVGA e-Geforce 8600 GTS.

Do not get any beeps. Have speakers plugged into mobo connectors in back of case, tried all of them with system power on, memory removed.

ps..I am not a gamer

eRae22

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2009
So the chip on your hdd is melted, yet you didnt replace the hardrive, hmmmm.........are you trying to be funny or something.
Sorry, I thought you were trying to be funny. As soon as I saw the drive was toast, I started trouble-shooting without a hard drive, tho I did install a new drive at one point. It did power up and could hear activity during the "boot" process, but no video! Thanks for your follow-up.

eRae22

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2009

new out of box..purchased it from NewEgg...not a gamer so have no need for high-end graphic card

johnnyq1233

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2007
My brother had a similar mishap about 5 years ago with a low quality supply.
It took out everything except the cpu, ram and video card.
HDD was burnt motherboard was burnt and you could actually see the burned traces under the motherboard.
Replaced PSU,HDD,mobo and everything posted like normal!
But you have to test the cpu, ram and video card in a known working system unless it's obviously burnt!
Hope this helps.

eRae22

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2009
Your chances of frying a new mobo with a bad cpu is highly unlikely, even if, you could rma the mobo as doa.

However, if you take our advice and test the cpu at a local shop and it posts, then you know its the mobo. They probably wont charge you anything for this.

Thank you again. Getting tested tomorrow. Sure appreciate your advice.