Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Low FPS In WoW ATI 4870

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 7, 2009 8:58:17 PM

I just bought an Asus EAH 4870 ATI Card 1G DDR5 video memory, upgraded from a ATI X1300Pro, and see no difference what soever in the Frame Rates. Is it my other hardware holding back the frame rates?

CPU: Intel P4 3.2ghz Hyper threading
Motherboard: Asus P5ND2-SLI
Memory: 3G OCZ Ram

Is it my Processor and Motherboard holding back the graphics card from holding 40+ FPS in WoW?
Any ideas and thoughts on what it is i could do to make my computer run WoW smoother in populated cities its low 20's and my friend with a comparable Nvidia card is getting 40FPS in the populated cities, why is mine so horrible.

More about : low fps wow ati 4870

January 7, 2009 9:08:18 PM

Your processor is definitely holding back your system...but my brother plays WOW on a P4 3.0ghz w/ 7600gt and gets 40s to 60 fps. Did you install the latest drivers from ATI? What OS are you using? What power supply do you have?..Are you using both 6 pin power connectors?

on a side note: I just installed a 4870 1GB and it runs crysis on max settings @ 30fps
January 7, 2009 9:18:42 PM

I am running Windows XP Home Edition. Yes i am using both 6 pin power plugs, hooked up to my Ultra 550w Power Supply. Any ideas on why your brothers runs so much higher then mine? yes i have installed the latest drivers, but it does seem to conflict with the driver that i had installed with the installation disc but i updated it from the ATI drivers page. Any more ideas would be helpful.
Thanks
Related resources
January 7, 2009 10:38:35 PM

Your proccessor is the culprid in this mix! if ya just get a quad core and new motherboard p45 your set and if your memory is ddr2 800 wootz
January 7, 2009 10:41:37 PM

Correct me if I am wrong wow is more a cpu dependent than gpu
January 7, 2009 10:45:16 PM

Make sure to clean out all of your old Ati drivers with Driver Cleaner Pro. (it's free)
After you do that, restart and load the most current Catalyst control suite.

This may only be somewhat effective, since your CPU/Mobo is likely bottlenecking the hell out of that card.

My old setup was a E4300 on an ECS P4M800 crap board with an AGP X1950 pro, and I got much better performance than what you've mentioned.

Time to upgrade, especially since you have the sweet new 4870. (I love mine) :D 
January 7, 2009 10:46:47 PM

kelfen said:
Correct me if I am wrong wow is more a cpu dependent than gpu

Your correct
January 7, 2009 10:51:42 PM

also crappy internet connection can quickly causes problems such as the all infamous "OMGWTF LAGGGGGG!!!!!" when dealing with mmos. Might not be the problem but something to keep in mind
January 7, 2009 10:59:10 PM

I average 60-70 in wow and sometimes see frames over 100. i play everything maxed out.

CPU i7 920 @ 3.6
ATI 4870
Tried a 4670, no difference at all.

Wow depends alot on your CPU and your latency.
January 7, 2009 11:11:34 PM

Roadrunner, I'd like to know how you're doing it. :(  With my 4850s in xfire, I have to disable one entirely, and turn shadows all the way down to get acceptable frame rates in wow. Net connection is good, cpu is q6600 @ 3.2g... I've tried diff. combinations of ram, reformats, raid0 to no raid back to raid0... Reading the wow forums quite a few people are experiencing problems with wow and from what I've gathered it seems to me that it's all related to that damn shadow detail crap they added in wotlk.

I've finally got it to work with my xfired 4850s, but I see zero FPS improvement and still experience large video lag issues... Every other game runs flawlessly, Crysis-Dead space-Fallout 3-Warhammer online... etc... All on very high to max settings at 1680x1050.
January 8, 2009 1:22:03 AM

wow graphics are pretty crappy; or in the sense they are not done as well optimize the graphics card and well cooded ect.
January 8, 2009 1:28:31 AM

FYI, I play at 1680x1050 for any one wondering.
January 8, 2009 1:26:41 PM

excuse my ignorance, but what's the point of FPS >30 ? i thought your brain can't interperate anything greater. as long as it stays at 30 and doesn't drop in action sequences or camera angle changes, then you're good to go!

having said that, i'd expect the 4870 to do much better than that!
January 8, 2009 1:58:39 PM

ondrugs said:
excuse my ignorance, but what's the point of FPS >30 ? i thought your brain can't interperate anything greater. as long as it stays at 30 and doesn't drop in action sequences or camera angle changes, then you're good to go!

having said that, i'd expect the 4870 to do much better than that!

it's better to experience it to see what the real difference is. try playing a game and turn up the settings so you can around 30fps. Use Fraps to monitor the FPS, and then lower the settings so you can get 60+. you will clearly see why a smooth consistent frame rate of 60+ is so important in games. Specially FPS or other quick reflex oriented games.
January 8, 2009 2:00:44 PM

It should do much better, even with a P4.

Like the guy said about removing drivers and stuff, do that. Get the ones from the ATi site.

And with that, you could run a 3DMark06 test, tell us the scores you're getting there.

My FPS on WoW often goes 260, I've seen 330 also.
Everything is maxed out as far as possible.

Using a HD4850, and a E8400 @ 3,6 Ghz (at the time I saw the 330 FPS it was on 3.0 ghz, haven't been able to check it after the overclock)
And a P45 Mobo + 550VX Corsair.
4 gigs of ram, on Vista 64 bit.

Quote:
Your proccessor is the culprid in this mix! if ya just get a quad core and new motherboard p45 your set and if your memory is ddr2 800 wootz

Do NOT get a quad core, get a E8400 instead. It's way better, you don't need a quad core for stuff like this.

PS: I'm playing on 1680x1050.

January 8, 2009 2:07:17 PM

will have to wait till i can afford a card that will run Crysis - at some level or another.
January 8, 2009 2:52:58 PM

aznguy0028 said:
it's better to experience it to see what the real difference is. try playing a game and turn up the settings so you can around 30fps. Use Fraps to monitor the FPS, and then lower the settings so you can get 60+. you will clearly see why a smooth consistent frame rate of 60+ is so important in games. Specially FPS or other quick reflex oriented games.

This is very good advice.

Also, on the subject of how our brains can interpret framerates, there are considerable differences between individual experiences. I've read references to studies that tested fighter pilots who could reliably recognize varying framerates well above 60fps.....well into the 90's, if I'm not mistaken.

January 12, 2009 3:14:49 PM

I wonder what the system specs are for people getting low FPS in WoW. I run a C2Q Q6600 with 4gb DDR2-800, Intel DG31PR and HD4850 (OC'd to 650/1050) and manage to run at 120-180fps (spikes well above 180fps in some areas with little to no noticable detail) with all settings maxed...including Shadows.
January 13, 2009 3:16:39 PM

I am running a 4870 with a Core2 e6300, 4gig ddr2 Vista 64. I typically see ~20 - 30 fps in Dalaran with the settings maxed. The most annoying part is the studder when I rotate my camera in an area with a lot of objects.

I did not see much improvement from my old X1900XT. Vista SP2 beta did not help. What's really interesting is that I can clock my graphics card up to 780 / 1080 and see no improvement, as well as down to 500 / 900, and again, no change in frame rates. In the game, if I turn down all the detail to virtually the lowest they will go, I pick up maybe 10 fps tops.

In my research, I've seen many people with similar experiences. I'm hoping upgrading my CPU will be the ticket. Meanwhile, every OTHER game's frame rates scream. :pfff: 
January 13, 2009 7:43:51 PM

World of Warcraft's graphics, like those for MOST MMOs, were geared towards the lower-common denominator, hence to broaden their potential market; the graphics aren't that much better than those of WarCraft III, which was a game from 2001, back when the kings of the hill were the GeForce 3 and Radeon 8500, which were around perhaps 20-40 times weaker than your 4870. Granted, you'll want something a bit more potent than one of those ancient cards to run the game's graphics smoothly at a very high resolution, (just like even the best cards today might struggle with Crysis at 2560x1600) but something like a 4870 is utter overkill. I'd say something like a Geforce 8500GT or Radeon 3650 might be quite sufficient for most "normal" resolutions up to around 1280x1024 or 1440x900.

More often, your performance is actually going to be from your CPU and Internet connection rather than the graphics card, especially as the game plays a constant round of catch-up to deal with all the data that must be handled back and forth with the server before anything else in the game can happen. A simple way to check if your video card is a culprit for poor performance is to simply drop the resolution a couple notches, along with dropping the textures and every other detail setting a notch; if you don't get a SERIOUS increase in framerate as a result (Say, a >40% improvement) then it's not your video card; it's actually twiddling its thumbs while it waits for the rest of the system to catch up.

An ancient Pentium 4 is clearly causing you problems; note that everyone else here chiming in about their much-better performance has a vastly more potent processor; while their clock speeds (GHz) aren't much higher, they use vastly better cores that accomplish far more per clock cycle. Plus, of course, they have two or more cores. Then again, while a CPU upgrade MIGHT seem like the ideal step here, I caution that your motherboard might not support a modern Core2. (and it CERTAINLY won't support a Core i7, which uses a different socket entirely)

ondrugs said:
excuse my ignorance, but what's the point of FPS >30 ? i thought your brain can't interperate anything greater.

That's actually an urban legend. The human eye can readily detect things that last even as few as 2-3 milliseconds. (i.e, 300-500 Hz/FPS) The 30FPS myth (as well as the whole fixation on 30/60 fps in general) comes from the fact that the ATSC's standard for analog color television for the past ~50 years or so was run at 60 fields per second, interlaced to provide a total refresh rate of 30 Hz. (30 fps) In other words, the television we all grew up with was 30 fps. (though most movies were actually 24 fps, albeit with very good exposure timings and motion blur that made it appear far higher)

More or less, the higher the framerate, the smoother it'll be... And yes, this goes well past 60 fps. Personally, I can readily tell the difference even between 60 fps and 120 fps; the former feels artificial compared to the latter.
January 20, 2009 6:30:01 PM

Yea I have this same problem. It drives my absolutely nuts.

I dropped a Grand on video cards and nothing. Well I started with just 1 4850 Card and I got 30fps no matter what I did, I can drop the in game graphics down to the lowest setting and I get 30fps and I put it at the highest possible and it is still 30fps. Then I thought maybe this card is junk so I returned it and got a 4870. And the same problem. So then I read these forums and they said that my 512 meg version of 4870 wasn't great. So I returned it and I got the 1 gig version of the 4870 and still same old 30fps. And then I decided to go all out, bought a new Board, Chip and 2 4870x2 and crossfired them. Still 30 fps.

I honestly think that after dumping many weeks and installs and reinstalls that ATI drivers are horrible. I think I would have been better off staying with my old 8800gt.

Reviews on Tomshardware should include World of Warcraft. I mean why not? it has a 11.5 million subscriber base. You think graphics manufacturer should use that as one of the "benchmarks."

Anyhow, just wanted to say you aren't alone on this issue. I am extremely dissapointed.
May 14, 2009 1:50:36 AM

I wish I would've seen this thread before buying a 4870 :(  I just built a new system around a Phenom 955 using a 1 GB 4870. The card was late to come in so I put in my old 8800 GT, I was quite impressed by getting 50 fps in Dalaran (my old computer would do about 10). So, the 4870 arrives today and I expected my fps to go up by a fairly decent amount, instead now I'm getting in the 22-30 fps range. I'm using the newest 9.4 Catalyst drivers for Windows 7, the game settings are the same. Anyone have any tips or insight?
May 14, 2009 12:21:22 PM

I've noticed on my system, the two major FPS reducing video options are the shadow system and the view distance. I have all the options set on high, but I had to reduce those two sliders down a bit to achieve the 40-50 FPS.
May 14, 2009 4:02:13 PM

Yeah, both of those are good ways to improve frame rates. My problem isn't with game settings though, my system should and is able to get better performance than I'm currently getting. I know this because my old 8800GT was performing much better than the new 4870.
January 26, 2010 3:40:52 AM

I solved my problem with the low fps in raids and Dalaran by realizing that my ram wasn't running in dual channel mode. After i put my two identical 2gigs side by side into the yellow (colour may vary) sockets i had a super increase in fps in raids and also in Dalaran. Previously my 4870 gave me mostly 25 fps in raids and about the same in Dalaran, now i experience around 50fps in dalaran on ultra settings with 70% shadow quality and 60fps in raids. So it is clearly not a CPU problem, i myself have a 2.7 dual core Athlon64 on windows 7.
My 2 cents on that.
August 9, 2010 7:29:26 PM

Hi there to everyone, is a little to late my help here, the CPU or GPU is not a problem in wow, the problem is SHADOW setting, with E4300@3.0GHz , 4gig , 4870 1G , in Dalaran with max settings(1920/1080) = 17fps, same point in Dalaran with no shadow = 70FPS, so the game is problematic ;) 
August 10, 2010 12:58:28 AM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
!