Question concerning the x58 EVGA A1 board

mikeny

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2006
I was going to get the PCIe sound card: Auzentech Forte and pair it with the Z5500 speakers. I know the pcie x1 slot is right below the pcie x16 slot. Would I be able to put it in the other slots? My board has 3 pcie x16/8 slots and 1 pcie x1 slot. If I do go crossfire, would I be able to move the sound card to the pcie x16/x8 slot on the bottom The layout of the PCIE slots (from top to bottom), is----pcie x16, pciex1. pcie x16/x8, pcie x8. I might not go crossfire (because it seems more like overkill for the type of games I play (no FPS's) but then again, I do play MMORPG's which is why Im undecided. Basically, would I be able to move the sound card to another PCIe slot?

It looks like the x-1 slot will be covered up by any dual slot vga card anyway.

I would try the included 8 channel sound first. You might find that a separate sound card is not necessary.

I think a x-1 card will run in a larger slot, but obviously not the reverse.

Some time ago, in the days of mhz single cores, reduced cpu utilization was one of the add on sound card selling points.

Today with ghz machines and 8 threads it is a non issue. In addition, some sound cards seem to have driver conflict issues.

I would try onboard sound first, you can always add a sound card later.