rezmo

Distinguished
May 19, 2011
Hello,
I am trying to install a Win98 prg (Macromedia Dreamweaver 2) on my Windows XP sys. I've used the compatibility wizard to get that going but it when it starts I get the message "cannot find file C:\Docume~1\ARTRES~1\LOCALS~1\tEMP\PFT6C~TMP\SETUP.EXE or one of its components. Check to ensure path...etc etc. The setup prg is on the disk which is in my computers drive.
I don't understand what its asking for.
Thanks,
art

Solution

One of my main gripes about Symantec, the registry will never be the same again.

Start Registry Editor...

Start>Run>Regedit

Locate and select the following value...
That thing is so old it cannot handle Windows long filenames. It sounds more like a Windows 3.1 program than a Win98. Windows 95-on does keep the old 8.3 filenames, but only as an alias. Your program can't read a modern drive file structure with long filenames, or a path that is too deep.

Here is a suggestion. Make your system temp folder directly off the root of the drive. This makes a very short path and may help. How? Read on...

Open Windows Explorer.
Click your system drive, probably drive C.
Click at top "File">New>Folder    and name it Temp.

Click:
Start>Control Panel>System>Advanced>Environment Variables>Temp>Edit
Change to C׃\Temp
click ok

Now do the same for the Tmp entry.

Click Ok to get out of there.

Now try to install your program again from scratch. The path is much shorter in length and it may get found.

rezmo

Distinguished
May 19, 2011
Hi,
thanks, I'll give that a try. The disc does say compatible with Windows 95, 98, and NT though. I bought the program in '99!
Can't remember what I was running back then.

Art

Here is a suggestion. Make your system temp folder directly off the root of the drive. This makes a very short path and may help. How? Read on...

Open Windows Explorer.
Click your system drive, probably drive C.
Click at top "File">New>Folder    and name it Temp.

Click:
Start>Control Panel>System>Advanced>Environment Variables>Temp>Edit
Change to C׃\Temp
click ok

Now do the same for the Tmp entry.

Click Ok to get out of there.

Now try to install your program again from scratch. The path is much shorter in length and it may get found.

[/color][/quotemsg]

rezmo

Distinguished
May 19, 2011
Hi again Tigsounds,

I tried your suggestion and this popped up:

C:\PROGRA~1\Symantec\S#@EVNT1.DLL. An installable Virtual Device Driver failed Dll initialization.

Then I chose ignore and got this:

Cannot find file C:\Temp\pft61~tmp\Setup.EXE (or one of its components).

I don't understand the Symantec thing. I got rid of all my Norton files quite awhile a go. Is this something that the CD is trying to load?

Is there anything else I can do?

Thanks again for your help.

Art

One of my main gripes about Symantec, the registry will never be the same again.

Start Registry Editor...

Start>Run>Regedit

Locate and select the following value:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\VirtualDeviceDrivers\VDD
If it does exist: On the Edit menu, click Delete.
On the Edit menu, click New, and then click Multi-string Value.
Type VDD in the Value Name box, and then press ENTER.
There are no values associated with this entry.
Quit Registry Editor.

Verify that the proper version of the Command.com file is installed in the systemroot/System32 folder on your computer.

The Windows XP version of the Command.com file has attributes similar to the following:

Size Date Time
------------------------------
50620 08-23-2001 4:00 A.M.

Solution