Building new rig, what do you think?

Disha

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2008
Hey everone!

It's my first post!! I've an avid reader of TH but never took the time to jump over the fence and share my thoughts. This time I'm asking yours!

I'm building a new system and after tons or reading I think it's gonna look like this:

MOBO: S775 ASUS P5Q-E P45 PCIE
CPU: INTEL CORE 2 QUAD Q6700 2.40G/1066/8M/S775
Cooling: THERMALRIGHT ULTRA 120 EXTREME
RAM: CORSAIR XMS2 DHX 4GB DDR2 PC2-6400 4-4-4-12
HDD: SATA2 500.0 SEAGATE 7200.11 32M ST3500320AS
GPU: ASUS PCIE RAD EAH4830 512M TVO BTE or POWERCOLOR Rad HD 4830 512MB
DVD: LG DVD+/-RW LG GH22LP20 DL LS 22/22 BK
Display: LG W2242TQ-BF 2MS BK WIDE
CASE: ANTEC TWELVE HUNDRED BK or ANTEC SKELETON (I like the look of it..)
PSU: ANTEC NEOPOWER 650W Blue

This new rig is for WORKING and GAMING. I plan on keeping it for about 3 years with potential upgrades in between. I plan on OCing but not as a mad man.. reaching 3.8 to 4.0 would be more than enough...

Comments:

1- MOBO: Ended up selecting P5Q-E because it almost has all the features of a DELUXE or PREMIUM. Why ASUS? I've had 4 Asus mobo in the last 10 years and never had any problems with them... I was also looking at Gigabyte since they seem to be good OCers but after reading lots of comments on unexpected behavior from those mobo, I came back to my good old fella Asus...

2- C2Q 6700: I sat on the fence for a while wondering if I should go E8400 or Q6600. After hours of reading, it seemed like quads don't perform better in games (for now). Considering I do multitask a lot, I figured the quad would still be better in the long run. Also, since I plan on OCing, I figured I'd be better off with the 10X mult of the Q6700 compared to the 9X of 6600. Haven't check how the heat might affect yet but... it seems like many Q6600 owners Oced to stable 3.6. Therefore I expect (hope) to reach close to 4GHz on air cooling(Tell me if I'm dreaming too much...)

3- ULTRA 120 EXTREME: After reading reviews, it seems to be a pretty good one. If I was to settle for less, I was thinking the Artic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro... (what do you think?)

4- CORSAIR XMS2 DHX 4GB DDR2 PC2-6400 4-4-4-12
I've been a die hard of Kingston for years. After reading I felt like I could try something different. I was looking at either of those: Kingston HyperX, Corsair Dominator, or OCZ Reaperx. My first choice was the Dominator but since I don't need to push the FSB over 400 to reach 4.0GHz, there's no need for PC-8500 so I settled for XMS2 C4DHX instead. It's hard to see clearly which one is best as it seems everyone is preaching for what they own....

6- GPU: Rad HD 4830
Again, tons of reading. Figured from the last review I read on the 4830 that it would be a good choice as it challenge the 8800GT/9800GT in it's ballpark. Also, since I go for a 22'' display, I don't think I'll be pushing res more than 1680x1050 and therefore I don't see the point of going for 4850 or higher. While I'm not planning on going CF for now, P5Q-E is CF ready and could be upgraded in the future. Finally, I thought SAPPHIRE or ASUS in the beginning but the POWERCOLOR seem to be pretty OC friendly http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/4830-radeon-crossfire,2098-12.html

9-: CASE: ANTEC
Again, I've ben sold to Antec for years now... hard to change old habits. I was looking at the NINE HUNDRED and TWELVE HUNDRED until I saw the SKELETON on Antec's website http://www.antec.com/usa/productDetails.php?id=15125&lan=us . My wife thinks I'm crazy but I do find it quite different and cool. Since it's an open case, no worries about building and OCed oven... (What do you guys think?)

10- PSU: since I'm not going for dual GPU, I fugured 650W would be more than enough even with OC. I haven't calculated yet but thanks to a great article from AnandTech http://www.anandtech.com/printarticle.aspx?i=3413 , I already got a pretty good idea what to expect.

Questions:

10- What's the difference between ATX 2.0 / 2.2 and 2.3 PSUs?

So enough already. I think I did my homeworks. I wanna know what you think now!!

Can't wait to read your comments

Disha

Disha

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2008
Was it that good that you guys don't see what to say!? 39 viewers no comments!

I'm sure there is gotta be something you think could be improved...

Let me know what you think!

The Antec Neo power blue is a bad choice.

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=117
Please take the time to read the review because you'll learn a great deal about quality PSUs. This is an example of a proper review done by an expert with the right equipment.

I own a P5Q-E and it's a fine board. I bought it for the reasons you stated.

I do think the newer gigabyte UD3P would deliver the same thing for less money.