Sign in with
Your question

E4500 Overclocking

Last response: in Overclocking
May 6, 2010 2:57:14 PM

Have an E4500 that was oced to 3ghz on an MSI p31 board. Motherboard kinda broke and it would only run the cpu stock and even then it wasnt stable because it would freeze after a few minutes of prime95, however was ok just internet browsing. So i got a new motherboard so that i could have a functioning pc again. Got the Gigabyte ga-g31m-es2l. Now with this new motherboard it is fine when at stock but i cant seem to overclock it. Did post first time but now wont at all if oced. So i changed to a spare cpu my friend had which was a celeron e3200 dual core and the same problems occurred. Very occasionally it will oc but then if i restart the pc it doesnt post and goes back to default settings. Also i have swapped out the psu for a corsair 650w and corsair 800mhz ram to problem solve aswell and had no affect. Does anyone know what the problem could be.

System Specifications

E4500
2x1gb 667mhz
8800gts 640mb
320gb seagate sata
single dvd drive
Generic 500w psu

More about : e4500 overclocking

May 7, 2010 2:04:02 PM

Yeah i know how to overclock and all that because i have done it plenty of times before with other computers. I havnt missed anything like memory dividers. Do you think it could be something wrong with the motherboard.
Related resources
a b K Overclocking
May 7, 2010 3:19:16 PM

Could be, what MOBO are you running, and what clock speeds are you using?
Could also be the PSU failing...
a c 197 K Overclocking
a c 156 V Motherboard
May 8, 2010 4:18:53 PM

Or you left all the memory settings on Auto and when you raise the FSB, you ended up overclocking your memory past its ratings.

The G31/G41 chipset is an economy chipset. You probably will not be able to push the FSB frequency much past 333 MHz. But with your CPU's, that's not a big problem because they have a relatively low FSB coupled to a relatively high internal multiplier.

So here's our generic OC guide:
This should be your first stop.
HOWTO: Overclock C2Q (Quads) and C2D (Duals) - Guide v1.6.1
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/240001-29-howto-overc...

And look at this:
Shadow's Gigabyte motherboard OC guide:
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/page-245679_11_0.ht...
It's for an EP35-DS3L but all the Gigabyte Core2 BIOS's are similar.
!