Windows 8 dual booting problem with Windows 7

I am facing a huge problem on dual booting Windows 8 with Windows 7, because I can't find a menu to select the operating system and still I tried with to figure it out using the MSConfig, MS Dos and the Advance system settings, but couldn't find the Windows 7. I can still find my previous windows 7 partition with all the files and so is there any other alternatives to bring back my previous windows back? Please help me
8 answers Last reply
More about windows dual booting problem windows
  1. could try this

Start from the Windows 8 Developer Preview installation medium.

Hit SHIFT+F10 to enter the command prompt.

Execute bootrec /fixmbr to update the main boot record just to be sure, partitions will remain.

Execute bootrec /fixboot to update the boot sector of the system partition.

Execute bootrec /scanos to add known OSes to the boot configuration data.

or easy bcd might help
  2. What do you mean by "start from the windows 8 developer installation medium"? Does it mean to again boot my computer with a windows 8 dvd?
  3. yes

and press shift + f10 when the select your language screen comes up--similar to windows 7

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/682-command-prompt-startup.html
  4. i have the same sort of problem but worse :(
    I used EasyBCD program and wehter i choose windows 7 or windows 8 , i always boot windows 8. Now i cant boot either of the two because i knocked windows 8 out of the boot entries to make windows 7 default OS and , windows 7 does not work anymore. I end up on a screen proposing windows 7 as the only boot entry and when hitting enter it has some sort of Ex100000F00 Error code :( :( :(
  5. I'm now on Linux Ubuntu --'
  6. Hey! I had similar issues to you and I fixed it with this guide.

http://itcookbook.net/blog/removing-windows-7-recovery-partition

The first part probably does not matter to you but towards the end you can see the part where you can set the bootloader stuff...

Quote:
    1:59 - Type EXIT to get out of Diskpart. You’re back at the commandline.
    2:08 - You need to be sure there are system files on the new bootloader drive. If that drive is C:, you will put them there with this command: BCDBOOT c:\windows /s C:
    2:24 - Taking a moment to show that the changes have shown up in Disk Management. The WinRE partition still shows as 'system' but not as 'active'.
    2:35 - Now reboot the machine, and login again with admin privs. (In this video, I have cut out part of the reboot process.)
    3:18 - When it comes back, open Disk Manager. Note that the WinRE partition is no longer marked 'system' or 'active'.
    3:40 - Delete the WinRE partition. You’re done, though I recommend a reboot to test.
    3:55 - Here I am showing the full reboot and logon sequence, to show there are no problems. However the tutorial is done; no further steps are necessary.
  7. I just installed Windows 8

so far the Boot Manager screen appears in Windows 8 format and correctly displays all three OS's in descending order. Previously, prior to the Windows 8 install, the Boot manager was controlled by MsDos. On a Previous dual boot installation using Windows 8 Developer Preview, and Windows 7 Professional Windows 8 controlled the boot screen and Windows 7 appeared in descending order. When I say Windows 8 controls the boot screen I mean it is in flash format not the current Ms Dos format that is in all the previous versions of Windows until Windows 8

Official Release of Windows 8 Consumer Preview
    This is a Triple Boot OS (See Previous Posts)
    Component Details Processor Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU 6300 @ 1.86GHz
    Memory (RAM) 6.00 GB Graphics ATI Radeon HD 5450 (Engineering Sample - WDDM v1.20)
    Gaming graphics 2367 MB Total available graphics memory
    Primary hard disk 266GB Free (279GB Total)
    Windows 8 Consumer Preview

System
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Manufacturer ASUSTEK COMPUTER INC Model P5W DH Deluxe
    Total amount of system memory 6.00 GB RAM
    System type 64-bit operating system Number of processor cores 2

Storage
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Total size of hard disk(s) 3223 GB
    Disk partition (C:) 266 GB Free (279 GB Total)
    Disk partition (D:) 85 GB Free (149 GB Total)
    Disk partition (E:) 44 GB Free (233 GB Total)
    Disk partition (F:) 371 GB Free (466 GB Total)
    Disk partition (G:) 34 GB Free (233 GB Total)
    Media drive (H:) CD/DVD
    Media drive (I:) CD/DVD
    Media drive (J:) CD/DVD
    Media drive (K:) CD/DVD
    Disk partition (L:) 825 GB Free (1863 GB Total)

Graphics
    Display adapter type ATI Radeon HD 5450 (Engineering Sample - WDDM v1.20)
    Total available graphics memory 2367 MB
    Dedicated graphics memory 1024 MB
    Dedicated system memory 0 MB
    Shared system memory 1343 MB
    Display adapter driver version 8.92.8.1 Primary monitor resolution 1280x1024
    DirectX version DirectX 11 or better

Network
    Network Adapter Marvell Yukon 88E8053 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller
    Network Adapter Marvell Yukon 88E8053 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller
    Network Adapter Realtek RTL8187 Wireless 802.11b/g 54Mbps USB 2.0 Network Adapter
    (Windows 8 pre-installation scan reported a potential problem, but the adapter is working seamlessly)

Notes
    ***Triple Boot OS
    Windows 8 Consumer Preview (Disk Partition C:)
    Windows 7 Ultimate (Disk Partition D:)
    Windows 6 (Vista) Ultimate (Disk Partition E:)
    (With Extras)

Downloads
    Download the Online Installer Here:
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/download

Download the ISO Disk Image Here:
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/iso
  8. MUHAMMADLM said:
    I am facing a huge problem on dual booting Windows 8 with Windows 7, because I can't find a menu to select the operating system and still I tried with to figure it out using the MSConfig, MS Dos and the Advance system settings, but couldn't find the Windows 7. I can still find my previous windows 7 partition with all the files and so is there any other alternatives to bring back my previous windows back? Please help me

Follow these steps to easily install Windows 8 along with windows 7 from a USB pen drive..

http://www.gigasters.com/post.aspx?postid=16
Ask a new question

Read More

Windows 7 Windows 8