Sign in with
Your question

bang on speaker set Logitech Z-560 after shutdown

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
October 8, 2002 1:28:16 PM

The z-560 is a great speaker set, true value for money, both for music and games.

BUT! With so much power, everytime I shut down the PC I get a huge bang from the speakers that brings the chalk down from my neigbor's ceiling. How do I prevent that?

Logitech support told me it's a discharge from the sound card to the speakers when powering down. The only 'solution' they had for me was to turn off the speakers before turning off the PC, which is fine, except that the remote control center is about 6 feet away from my PC (which is in a mobile box on wheels in the middle of my living room). So this would require me to get up, walk over, turn off speakers, walk back, turn off PC and then the reverse for powering up again. In itself I don't mind it that much, but to have to do this everytime I shut down or have to do a hard reboot (which alas is somewhat frequently) is too much.

I also asked support whether they had extension cables to put the control center further away from the woofer and closer to my PC (that would do it!) but these didn't exist, they said.

This bang is driving me nuts AND I'm afraid it may be hurting my speakers...

Any suggestions?
October 8, 2002 9:14:35 PM

theres not fix for that, most computers do it. what i would do is get an extension for the speaker jack and just unplug the speakers when you shutdown.

how do you shoot the devil in the back? what happens if you miss? -verbal
October 9, 2002 8:26:50 AM

thanks, that's a pretty simple and creative solution! maybe there is even be a on/off swiths for those cables/jacks.

I was thinking last night on a related note; do you think there is any chance an electrotechnician may be able to manufacture an extension for the proprietary (?) cord between the control center and the woofer?
Related resources
October 9, 2002 6:23:30 PM

if your handy with a soldering iron, its not hard. i have extended all sorts of cables. i dont know of any shops that would do that.

October 14, 2002 9:08:07 PM

Uh or instead of bothering with new cables etc, why not just hit the power button on the volume/bass/fade box before u shutdown? That's what i ended up doing heh. Hitting the speakers power shouldn't give u that exploding boom sound.
October 14, 2002 11:26:04 PM

"The only 'solution' they had for me was to turn off the speakers before turning off the PC, which is fine, except that the remote control center is about 6 feet away from my PC (which is in a mobile box on wheels in the middle of my living room). So this would require me to get up, walk over, turn off speakers, walk back, turn off PC and then the reverse for powering up again"

thats why : )

November 14, 2002 12:54:17 AM

The one thing that worked for me - I know this isn't practical for everyone - was switching my sound card. One of the most pleasant surprises with the Audigy 2 was that the 'Bang' was gone. There are probably other cards like this as well.

I had an Audigy 1 bofore this and it 'banged.'
!