System Won't Switch Off

xazos79

Distinguished
May 9, 2001
Hi guys, i recently wiped my harddrive with win98 and installed win2kProfessional. I have an ATX case that used to switch off automatically when i shutdown win98. But now with win2000 it doesn't switch off. It just sits at the "It is now safe to switch off your computer" screen. I hate having to hold in the damn power button for 4secs everytime i shutdown. Anyone have any ideas on why this is happening?
Cheers Lads....

mbetea

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2001
your mobo or w2k didn't install acpi. and what you can do too so you don't have to hold the power button in for 4secs, is reverse/flip the powerLED connector going from your case to the mobo.

xazos79

Distinguished
May 9, 2001
I'm assuming its w2k that didn't install it. How do i install acpi? Is it via add/remove programs? I'm hoping w2k has help on this in the help file. I'm more concerned with auto switch off than the 4 second thing. 4 second hold is good because when my little shit_head cousins come round, they can't turn off my computer.

G

Do you have a USB hub plugged into the computer? If so, try unplugging it then power down - if this works, let me know.
D...

mbetea

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2001
depending on your bios, make sure under powermanagement, that anything along the lines of "ACPI Aware OS" is enabled or "Power Management". then w2k should detect and set it up automatically. also too, to get it to auto shutdown w/out acpi enabled. go to control panel/power options, under one of those tabs there should be a check mark to "enable APM (advance power management). check that (might have to restart), and it will power down for you, just like with ACPI. not sure about the hub thing though, i got a 4por belkin and have no problems.

G

I asked about the hub, cause I had the same problem with shut down and tried all the solutions that have been mentioned here. It took me nearly a full day to find out it was the hub. I have both a powered Belkin and a DLink hub and all the 'experts' said "This should NOT be an issue." But indeed - it was an issue.

xazos79

Distinguished
May 9, 2001
Nah it still didn't fix it. I don't have a usb hub either so that's not the problem. I did enable APM but that didn't do anything. However, my system has started to become very unstable. It did seem to coincide with checking the APM and trying to burn some cd's for the first time under win2k. What happens is:
1) My cdex1.8 beta for converting mp3s & wavs doesn't like win2k one bit. As soon as i try and run the application my computer restarts like i have hit the reset button. Same thing happens with my old burning software.
2) I can't burn anything. Even with new software. I try disc at once, and the program tells me i don't have enough space to copy to my hard drive first. Bullshit, i have 16gig free. If i try burning data off of the hard drive, it sends back errors before i even start.

Has anyone experienced these problems??