Sound blaster Audigy question / soundcards in general

I was using my onboard audio on my Gigabyte EG31M-S2 motherboard up until recently when it started to give me annoying distortion when I turned the volume up loud. I went and baught a soundcard from a local store I could find, which was a soundblaster audigy (yea its pretty old I know). The card has 3 line outs, and 1 line in. My onboard audio had 3 sound ports but it had a software manager that let you change whether a port was line in or out. I need two line in's on my Audigy soundcard, I was wondering if there was a program that could change what the function of the port on the soundcard was, of it Creative Labs had the same kind of sound manager Realtek (my onboard sound) has. IF possible, would I be able to use my line-in on my onboard audio and get the sound to play on the line out of my soundcard, or can you not cross two different audio devices like that.

Is there a way to simply just make a line out to a line in? I doubt it but the on board one does just that.
2 answers Last reply
More about sound blaster audigy question soundcards general
  1. robob1988 said:
    I was using my onboard audio on my Gigabyte EG31M-S2 motherboard up until recently when it started to give me annoying distortion when I turned the volume up loud. I went and baught a soundcard from a local store I could find, which was a soundblaster audigy (yea its pretty old I know). The card has 3 line outs, and 1 line in. My onboard audio had 3 sound ports but it had a software manager that let you change whether a port was line in or out. I need two line in's on my Audigy soundcard, I was wondering if there was a program that could change what the function of the port on the soundcard was, of it Creative Labs had the same kind of sound manager Realtek (my onboard sound) has. IF possible, would I be able to use my line-in on my onboard audio and get the sound to play on the line out of my soundcard, or can you not cross two different audio devices like that.

Is there a way to simply just make a line out to a line in? I doubt it but the on board one does just that.

Did you install the software that came with the card? I have the Audigy SE and an X-Fi both and i can't really remember what the software is like on the SE anymore but I was sure that you could play with all those settings. And you can run both onboard and the card at the same time. I have done it but that was just because I forgot to disable the onboard sound when my audigy was installed. Most people say that its a waste of money but that mostly because they don't know the difference. I tried the HD audio on my Asus P5E board and it didn't take me long to upgrade to a X-Fi. Good luck.
  2. I've installed the software and drivers off the CD. I got the autoupdate utility from Creative, and i ran it a few times and got the most up to date drivers. There is a few utilities now, but none of them let me change the port unless i'm just misinterpreting. I have a lot of options though. Line-in, Microphone, Auxilary and some other settings. But muting and changing each of the options has no effect.
Ask a new question

Read More

Sound Cards Sound Blaster Audio Components