I got this message a few days ago:

Please Note: The AOL Newsgroup service will be discontinued in early 2005.

For members using AOL over a dial-up connection, you will no longer be able to
access Newsgroups. If you have a separate high-speed connection, you can
contact your broadband provider to see if they offer Newsgroups. Newsgroup
services can often be accessed through a third party reader, such as Mozilla
Thunderbird (http://www.mozilla.org/projects/thunderbird/).

Alternatively, you can access Newsgroups via Google at
http://groups.google.com/.

We apologize for this inconvenience.

I am still on a dial-up connection (yeah, and I'm still playing Sims 1). I
went to the Google address, but could not find this particular site listed.
Can anybody tell me how I might acces this site once AOL "cancels" it?
Currently, I just click on a "Favorites" link.

Thanks a bunch.
Dorothy

OhDorothy wrote:
> I got this message a few days ago:
>
> Please Note: The AOL Newsgroup service will be discontinued in early 2005.

This is because AOL blows huge chunks of worm-infested doggie-doo, and
people, for some reason I cannot fathom, PAY for it!

--
--Cuth

OhDorothy waved a magic wand at the 'puter, changed into a moose
(OOPS!) - tried again and came up with:
> I got this message a few days ago:
>
> Please Note: The AOL Newsgroup service will be discontinued in early
> 2005.
>
> For members using AOL over a dial-up connection, you will no longer
> be able to access Newsgroups. If you have a separate high-speed
> connection, you can contact your broadband provider to see if they
> offer Newsgroups. Newsgroup services can often be accessed through a
> third party reader, such as Mozilla Thunderbird
> (http://www.mozilla.org/projects/thunderbird/).
>
> Alternatively, you can access Newsgroups via Google at
> http://groups.google.com/.
>
> We apologize for this inconvenience.
>

> I am still on a dial-up connection (yeah, and I'm still playing Sims
> 1). I went to the Google address, but could not find this particular
> site listed. Can anybody tell me how I might acces this site once AOL
> "cancels" it? Currently, I just click on a "Favorites" link.
>
> Thanks a bunch.
> Dorothy

It's not surprising. It allows AOL to stop services where many people are
smart enough to figure out that AOL is not the best service provider and
aren't afraid to say so, and in stopping the newsgroups from appearing under
the AOL umbrella, they can reduce the manpower necessary to stay current.
It's their way of saving money and imposing censorship while saying that the
services are "non-essential", and therefore unecessary.

--
--- Mike --- http://www.livin-it-up.net
Member of eKoOK (evil Kult of Object Kreators)
"The ultimate goal is load time of 24 hours!"
"The ultimate goal is filling every hard drive in the world!"
Mwahahaha!

I once changed ISP's because they dropped all newsgroups. . . The ISP in
question only lasted four months before they had to put them back on. I
_told_ Phil (Phil Kern of Kern Internet) that people would leave, just like
I was and he didn't believe me.

No matter what anyone says about BigPond (and they do have a large company's
disregard of individuals) all you need is to keep hitting your head against
a brick wall for a month to get anything done. Other companies you have the
brick wall and no excuse for being the arrogant individuals that they are -
they have no market cornered.

;')

MM

"Ohmikeghod" <ohmikeghod@mirthlink.net> wrote in message
> OhDorothy waved a magic wand at the 'puter, changed into a moose
> (OOPS!) - tried again and came up with:
> > I got this message a few days ago:
> >
> > Please Note: The AOL Newsgroup service will be discontinued in early
> > 2005.
> >
> > For members using AOL over a dial-up connection, you will no longer
> > be able to access Newsgroups. If you have a separate high-speed
> > connection, you can contact your broadband provider to see if they
> > offer Newsgroups. Newsgroup services can often be accessed through a
> > third party reader, such as Mozilla Thunderbird
> > (http://www.mozilla.org/projects/thunderbird/).
> >
> > Alternatively, you can access Newsgroups via Google at
> > http://groups.google.com/.
> >
> > We apologize for this inconvenience.
> >

> > I am still on a dial-up connection (yeah, and I'm still playing Sims
> > 1). I went to the Google address, but could not find this particular
> > site listed. Can anybody tell me how I might acces this site once AOL
> > "cancels" it? Currently, I just click on a "Favorites" link.
> >
> > Thanks a bunch.
> > Dorothy
>
> It's not surprising. It allows AOL to stop services where many people are
> smart enough to figure out that AOL is not the best service provider and
> aren't afraid to say so, and in stopping the newsgroups from appearing
under
> the AOL umbrella, they can reduce the manpower necessary to stay current.
> It's their way of saving money and imposing censorship while saying that
the
> services are "non-essential", and therefore unecessary.
>
> --
> --- Mike --- http://www.livin-it-up.net
> Member of eKoOK (evil Kult of Object Kreators)
> "The ultimate goal is load time of 24 hours!"
> "The ultimate goal is filling every hard drive in the world!"
> Mwahahaha!

Oh Dorothy, get individual.net... it's easy to configure! It's also really
reliable, way better than my old server! I lost my link to it but Neal will
have it if you ask him nicely :)

~ jo

http://thesims2.ea.com/mysimpage/mysimpage.php?user_id=223269

"hangover_girl" <hangovergirl@dodo.com.au> wrote in message
> Oh Dorothy, get individual.net... it's easy to configure! It's also
really
> reliable, way better than my old server! I lost my link to it but Neal
will
> have it if you ask him nicely :)

I Goggled it.

http://www.individual.net/

>I once changed ISP's because they dropped all newsgroups. . . The ISP in
> question only lasted four months before they had to put them back on. I
> _told_ Phil (Phil Kern of Kern Internet) that people would leave, just
> like
> I was and he didn't believe me.
>
> No matter what anyone says about BigPond (and they do have a large
> company's
> disregard of individuals) all you need is to keep hitting your head
> against
> a brick wall for a month to get anything done. Other companies you have
> the
> brick wall and no excuse for being the arrogant individuals that they
> are -
> they have no market cornered.
>
> ;')
>
> MM

If all else fails you can use Google to access this text newsgroup (Google
don't do binaries).

Try this direct link.
http://groups.google.co.uk/groups?hl=en&lr=&group=alt.games.the-sims

Skeatsan''co

"Skeatsan''co" <overthemoon@overthemoonagain.co.uk> wrote in message

> If all else fails you can use Google to access this text newsgroup (Google
> don't do binaries).
>
> Try this direct link.
> http://groups.google.co.uk/groups?hl=en&lr=&group=alt.games.the-sims
>
> Skeatsan''co

OR

just put in

alt. sims

in the Google "Groups" search box. The last seems to be via the uk site.

Skeatsan''co