PSU won't turn on

thecomputergeek

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2009
Hi all. I bought this PSU: http://tiny.cc/FnUF9 . I wanted to use it just to power my current GPU (9600 GT). Just that. I have the PSU outside the case. It is connected to the GPU with a 6-pin PCIe cable. That is the only cable connected to my new PSU. The rest of the parts are connected to my old PSU inside the case. My problem is: the PSU won't turn on and neither will the computer. I turned on the new PSU and the computer at the same time, but I just get a black screen. Not even a BIOS. I'm afraid I got a bad PSU. I also thought that maybe the PSU had to be plugged in to the MOBO in order for it to work right. I've heard that the MOBO has to tell the PSU to turn on. Is this my problem? What's going on?

TheDraac

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2008
Yes, for an ATX power supply to "turn on", PIN 14 of the 24 pin main power connector, the green wire, needs to shorted to ground. You can do that manually with a paper clip. Just "plug" it in to the green and one of the black wires next to it.

If the second PSU wasn't really on, No fan spinning, then the video card wasn't getting any power, so a black screen. Other than no video, computer prob started up, just couldn't see it.

Anyway, the wiring adapter suggested should make things simple.

thecomputergeek

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2009
Thanks for the info! I didn't know PSU's had to be connected to a computer for them to "turn on". The internal PSU did work, and everything else turned on, but I wasn't getting any video. Oh well. My new case and MOBO are coming today. I'll be switching everything else out of the old case and into the new.

thecomputergeek

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2009
OK. I finally got everything working by reinstalling Vista. I have one more problem though. Two actually. First, my dual-channel memory (2 1GB) is only running in single channel mode. Second, I'm getting purple color distortions in games. I tried lowering my GPU clocks and the problem seems to go away, but the game runs slower. Any way I can fix this and retain my speed? I've also tried different drivers, all to no avail.