Gateway FX 6800-01e power supply

Status
Not open for further replies.

blamar2

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2009
Hey guys, it's my first post here and I'm looking forward to it! I'm in need of some guidance, I purchased a Gateway FX 6800-01e (i7 920 @2.66 ghz, mobo w/ x58 chipset, Radeon HD 4850, 3 gb DDR3, 500 watt power supply) and I'm looking to upgrade the power supply. My eventual goal is to add another card, probably another 4850. As a side note, I'm also taking suggestions about what to do here, could I run dual 4870s? What would I need to do? Back to the matter at hand, I'm not sure what kind of compatibility issues I might have in picking out a power supply and am a little intimidated. Does anyone have any good suggestions of a quality power supply that would push the 4850's?

Here is a link to a power supply calculator:

http://web.aanet.com.au/SnooP/psucalc.php

Fill in the blanks as best you can to come up with a rough estimate of power requirements for your particular configuration. Please bear in mind the results will be overestimated because there are a lot of cheap, low quality psu's of questionable reliability that people insist on buying.

Two 4850 video cards operating in Crossfire mode will use about 220 watts and 19 amps at full load.

Seasonic, Corsair, and PC Power & Cooling offer high quality power supplies that are very stable and reliable. They consistently earn high marks in technical reviews and comparisons. They're also the three brands most often recommended by veteran posters at this forum. My personal preference is Corsair.

blamar2

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2009
That was extremely informative, Johnny Lucky, and I thank you. From my best estimate, a roughly 750 watt psu from any of the above manufacturer's should be more than adequate. I'm not sure how familiar you are with my PC, but do you think I would need to add additional cooling solely for the power source? I'm almost positive I will for the GPU's; everything I've read has indicated that dual-4850's tends to run a little on the warm side. Would you perhaps have any suggestions about that, as well?

I use Corsair power supplies. They have large fans that pull air into the psu and exhaust the air out the back of psu. The fan speed is controlled by the psu. As the temperature increases the fan speed increases. The power supply is perfectly capable of cooling itself.

Does the side panel of your pc case have perforated mesh for ventilation? If it does, is the perforated mesh next to the video card or the cpu? Are there holes for mounting an extra fan where the mesh is located. It might be possible to install and extra fan on the side panel so that it blows cool air toward your video card(s).

blamar2

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2009
That is good to know about the Corsair, which was actually the brand I was leaning towards after shopping around a bit tonight/this morning. Their 750 watt psu looks difficult to top.

In regards to the case, yes on all accounts. The mesh inset is roughly 4.5 inches wide and 9 inches tall. I'm almost certain I could place a small oscillating fan from Wal-Mart beside it and not have to worry about anything else hardware related (kidding!).

I really do appreciate your input, JohnnyLucky.

luchojeda

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2009
Hi blamar2
I was wondering what power supply you finally installed and how is it working.
I have the same gateway as you do but mine shuts off by itself, so I think that problem may be related toi the power supply and I want to change it. Please let me know

thanks
Email removed

G

did you crossfire on the original board? I have the FX6831-01 and wasn't sure if there was room

mellino19

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2010

Hey I noticed you bought a HUGE power supply (1000w) and for your fx6800, my power supply just died the other day and I was wondering if you've had any trouble at all with the power supply. I tried to ask gateway what the max power their mobo could handle was and they just kept telling me the motherboard isn't a use replaceable part so they can't tell me which is a load of crap. I was thinking of buying a 550w with modular cables and basically wanted to know if your 1000w is still running good since I'll clearly know that anything lower than that won't kill my pc

jzeol

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2011
i have a gateway fx6800-oe1 too. I tried to upgrade the psu to a corsair tx750. It didnt work. when i connected the mobo alone, it wouldnt even power up the fans. so i rma'd the new psu. hopefully the second one works.

the old one still works and fires up the mobo and everything else.

I noticed that the original psu is a liteon 450watt. Specs on the page indicate 500watt.

My question is, is there some compatibility issue with gateway mobo and certain psu's?
I noticed that Gateway keeps alot of the important specs on their website a secret. I had to go to other sites to try to figure out what exactly is inside my machine.

Thanks for any help

Status
Not open for further replies.