Sunbeam Core contact freezer coming. Should I use the thermal paste?

tuesday0180

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2009
or use arctic silver 5?

i read reports that say using the thermal paste that came with the heatsink is best because it was made just for the particular heat sink. Is this true?

Or would I be better of just applying the arctic silver 5?

tuesday0180

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2009

Yea I've read the same thing. I think I'll have to try both though since I already bought the arctic 5 for $10. It won't be a hassle since the sunbeam clamps onto the stock motherboard clamp

tuesday0180

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2009
Okay so I just received my heatsink and installed it. I am using the TX2 thermal paste that came with the heatsink and I'm getting about 52celsius in prime 95 with all 4 cores @ 100%. I haven't tried the arctic silver yet. I'll probably try it in a week.

tuesday0180

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2009

25mhz was pretty serious business. I remember my family buying a 486 33mhz 4 megs of ram 125megabyte hard drive for like $4000 when it first came out.

green300

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2010

I would be very interested in hearing your findings with thee AS5 and the CCF. Originally when I was looking at a/m coolers I thought I'd try some ocz freeze this time instead of AS5,but decided to try the tx-2 the CCF provided. I am liking the tx-2 so far. If you get around trying thee AS5 let us know what you find...

amnotanoobie

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2006

It's not a poor TIM, but being electrically conductive adds another possible area of trouble. If you apply too much, and it reaches the socket, or somewhere else, then your cpu could regularly shutdown or even fry the chip.

Also the other problem with AS5 is the curing time, which is about 200+ hrs of use, with some number of heat-up and cool-down cycles. Most newer TIM's have little to no curing time.

JofaMang

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2009
It is not electrically conductive. Silver itself is, but while AS5 contains silver, it is not a pure silver paste. An electrically conductive TIM would destroy parts, and the company that made it would be bankrupt.

If someone applies so much as5 as to have it running down into the socket, they deserve whatever they get (a frustrating cleanup, and thats about it). Do some research before you make ridiculous claims like this.

As for the curing time, so what? Again, while there is better, AS5 is not bad, and will give better performance than the no-name TIMs that are often supplied with HSFs. A cure time doesn't reduce it's overal effectiveness, it just requires a procedure to get to optimal performance. I fail to see your point, other than taking the chance to get a hate-on for AS5. I don't even use AS5 anymore, I switched to MX-2 a while ago, and am glad to have done so, but just because I gained a degree or two, doesn't mean AS5 was worthless crap.

amnotanoobie

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2006

From arctic's own site: http://www.arcticsilver.com/as5.htm
Not Electrically Conductive:
Arctic Silver 5 was formulated to conduct heat, not electricity.
(While much safer than electrically conductive silver and copper greases, Arctic Silver 5 should be kept away from electrical traces, pins, and leads. While it is not electrically conductive, the compound is very slightly capacitive and could potentially cause problems if it bridges two close-proximity electrical paths.)

I've been around long enough the block to know that AS5 does work well, was regarded as the king of TIMs for a certain point in time, and that it has the possibility to cause problems when you put too much. (I reiterate, possibility, not a guaranteed thing).

The guy had MX-2 which has no curing time compared to AS5. So comparing MX-2 to the AS5, I'd choose the MX-2 naturally.

Please read the whole thread before bash-posting. Thanks.

JofaMang

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2009
I don't understand your excitement, amnotanoobie. All i have said is that AS5 is still a good TIM, and that if you can't apply it without making a massive mess, then you deserve whatever you get, which is usually just an annoying cleanup.

I have spoken no falsities, but go ahead, get the drama out if it makes you feel better.

amnotanoobie

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2006

These are your fighting words:

I do my research, I backed up my claims, and I never did say that AS5 was bad. Watch what you say, that is all.