Your question

Help a beginner OC, a few questions

Tags:
  • AMD
  • Overclocking
Last response: in Overclocking
May 7, 2010 4:08:19 PM

Hey everyone,

I have a AMD X3 425 2.7Ghz and a GIGABYTE GA-790XTA-UD4 board. I'm looking to do some basic overclocking with the stock cooler for now. I've been reading a lot over the past couple of days, and from what I have read, it seems that I can bump up the FSB Frequency (I am at work right now and not in front of my computer). On my board, this starts at 200. My question is, can I raise this slowly, make sure temps are OK, and the system is stable, and not have to touch any of the other values within the bios? At this time, I'm not interested in messing with voltages, due to only using the stock fan. I've read some tutorials where you can just adjust the FSB Freq, and not touch the other values, and other tutorials have stated that I need to back the other numbers down to there original values after bumping up the FSB number from 200.

Thanks.
(and please excuse any comments I made in error, I'm new to this)

More about : beginner questions

May 7, 2010 6:49:31 PM

Anyone?
m
l
a c 100 K Overclocking
May 7, 2010 8:47:49 PM

For light overclocks, yes you can just adjust the FSB and you should mostly be good to go, although the RAM speed will get changed as well so you'll have to either fiddle with it a lot - more voltage or high timings - or just underclock the RAM. You might find some standard settings for it at a different speed to make it easy. Otherwise, pick a FSB that'll give you a proper multiple for the ram frequency - this might require some slight vcore and vtt adjustments the depending how high you go.
m
l
Related resources
May 7, 2010 9:02:36 PM

I've done some overclocking with my old AMD dual core 4200+ and I was only able to get a modest increase of about 10% without adjusting my memory timings. I had some cheap memory in my system at the time which was holding me back from achieving higher overclocks. If you want to go faster than that, you should read up on how to tweak your memory timings, you need a pretty good mobo to do it right. If not, better memory might be in order. Prices for high performance DDR2 are about $25 per 1gb stick right now, so that might be an option. Good luck!
m
l
!