Toughpower 650w vga power supply

reggie123

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2009
Thinking about buying this but to power 3 9800gtx+ Thermaltake W0158RU 650W SLI Ready CrossFire Ready Active PFC VGA Power . I have read mixed reviews , Johnny Guru gave it a 7.5 and almost recommended it. Other sites said it was great. (sorry can't remember which ones) I was hoping that some one has had some personal experience with this product. Some of the reviews on new egg claimed that it fried someones whole rig. I don't see how that could happen unless their mobo was not grounded properly. Am I wrong ?? Is it a good purchase? I currently have a ocz 600w stealthstream that I really love and is running 2 cards just fine as long as i don't push my overclock too far . Is it realistic to take the cheap way out , or should i just wait an extra month to come up with the money for a decent 900w or above psu ? Thanks in advance and I think I have a pretty good idea of what makes a power supply enough for a system so please don't reply with the power supply faq links because I have read them.

Well to power 3 GTX+ i think 650W is a close call...
U shuld be looking at 750W or higher...dont take chances...
Mayb the corsair 750 or the 850 are better options...and more future proof...

Here is a link to a power supply calculator:

http://www.antec.outervision.com/

Fill in the blanks as best you can. It can calculate for tri-sli and overclocking. The results will be a rough estimate of power requirements for the entire system. The results will be overestimated because there are a lot of cheap, low quality psu's of questionable value that people insist on buying.

Seasonic, Corsair, and PC Power & Cooling are excellent high quality power supplies. They consistently earn high marks in technical reviews and comparisons. They're also the three brands most often recommended by veteran posters at this forum. My personal preference is Corsair.

Dahak

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
If you are only running 2 9800GTX cards,then you might be ok.But for 3 of them,I would get at least a 850watt PSU,or even a 1000watt,just to be safe.Goodluck.

Dahak

ASUS P5N-D
C2D E8500 STOCK
ZALMAN 9700 CPU COOLER
2X2GIG DDR2 1066 IN DC MODE
TOUGHPOWER 850WATT PSU
EVGA GTX 260
SMILIDON RAIDMAX GAMING CASE
LG 24IN WS LCD 1920X1080
250GIG HD/500GIG HD
LOGITECH G15 GAMING KEYBOARD
G5 GAMING MOUSE
LOGITECH Z-5500 5.1 SURROUND SYSTEM
500WATS CONTINUOUS,1000 PEAK
WIN XP PRO

reggie123

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2009
I figured that 650w isnt enough for 3 gtx+ but the supply in question is just a vga supply in addition to my current 600w supply