Sign in with
Your question

HELP! need to know whats wrong with my new build

Last response: in Systems
December 15, 2008 5:29:56 PM

HI. i just got my graphics card today. I've been waiting for this last componnent for awhile. i have had everything else and this is the last piece to let me know that my comp will run. I plug it in hooked up the pci express cables as well. when i turned it on from my powersupply, i didnt get a green light that i usually got. before my fans were spinning and everything seemed to be running but as soon as i put in the GPU, it doesnt even start. Can u tell me what's wrong and where the problem lies from thiss? i need to know asap! thanks

More about : whats wrong build

a b B Homebuilt system
a b U Graphics card
December 15, 2008 5:33:34 PM

You need to list the full system specs. I doubt anyone will stab in the dark with a guess without knowing what hardware they're working with.
December 15, 2008 5:43:10 PM

motherboard:asus p5nd
GPU:xfx 9800gtx+
PSU:Antec 850 tru power
CPU:intel quad core 6600
Case:antec 900
Memory:G skill Pi series ddr 800 2x2g
Seagate 250 gig harddrive
samsung 22x light scribe for optical.

PS. i unpluged the GPU and i turned on the system. it ran and the fans started working again.. hmm.. -_- what could be wrong..
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
a b U Graphics card
December 15, 2008 5:58:10 PM

Do you have both 6-pin pci-e power connectors plugged into the GPU? Is the 4-pin CPU power connector plugged into the motherboard in addition to the 24-pin motherboard power connector?
December 15, 2008 5:59:49 PM

i figured it out.. i only needed to put in one six pin instead of 2. i pluged in 2 but why do i not see my bios??
a b B Homebuilt system
a b U Graphics card
December 15, 2008 6:00:56 PM

Your GPU will not work correctly without both 6-pin connectors plugged in.
December 15, 2008 6:17:20 PM

Can you verify that the wiring is the same for both 6-pin PCIe power connectors? Your symptoms appear like a direct short-circuit of the power supply.
!