Sign in with
Your question

SSD for Me

Last response: in Storage
June 2, 2010 4:43:19 AM

Hello, I have a Alienware Aurora with a i7 920 Quad Core, 6gb RAM, 2 1TB RAID 0, ATI Raedon 5700 Series Card. I am pretty interested in SSD drives and using one as my boot/os drive. I have interested in purchasing http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... but I would like some opinions. I am in the $150 range but will go up to $200 if needed.

More about : ssd

June 2, 2010 5:17:02 PM

Sphinx4311 said:
Hello, I have a Alienware Aurora with a i7 920 Quad Core, 6gb RAM, 2 1TB RAID 0, ATI Raedon 5700 Series Card. I am pretty interested in SSD drives and using one as my boot/os drive. I have interested in purchasing http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... but I would like some opinions. I am in the $150 range but will go up to $200 if needed.

I recently (2 weeks ago) added a Kingston V+Now 128gb SSD. It's really, really fast. I made a system image/back-up(clone) to an external USB drive and cloned my Windows 7 to the new drive using the Acronis true image that comes with the Kingston drive. Worked fantastic. Just make sure your OS image is smaller than the drive your cloning TO. You might need to do some research if your current OS is on a RAID partition - I'd recommend http://www.sevenforums.com/ for some excellent advice and experience.

My WEI when from 5.9 to 7.1. Almost Everything opens in a blink. Sony SoundForge 8, Vegas Platnum, Race On and MS Flight Sim X run flawlessly and extremely smooth.

June 2, 2010 8:32:53 PM

My OS is around 32gb, but thats without my programs installed because I had to reinstall Windows for my RAID. I have to say the WEI jump sounds awesome because I am irritated that my rating is low because of my drive when everything elese is 7+. I am concerned about the long term reliability.
Related resources
a c 98 G Storage
June 3, 2010 10:07:27 PM

I wouldn't clone your OS to a new SSD. DO A FRESH INSTALL of WINDOWS 7, to get all the advantages of the OS supporting a SSD (i.e. the OS reconizes the SSD, and will optimize it. Plus, install writes will be sequencial, etc.).

Your right in thinking about and OS boot drive only. You can put Program Files (i.e. Office, games, etc) on it also, just watch for space used. And you can use your current drives for data/media and backups, either in RAID 0 or seperated. But back it all up first! Changing it from RAID 0 to non-RAID, you will loose everything, but I think you know that.

I would suggest an Intel X25-M 80GB SSD, but its $229.00 here. Newegg might have it for less. But, having just looked, it seems a if prices have gone UP! MicroCenter once listed this as $199.00, but it's back to $229.00.

Then, there is an Intel X25-V 40GB, but thats too close to your OS size (but you could RAID 0 two of them. But over budget, and you loose TRIM support). Look for other threads about SSD & RAID setups. Lots of info out there!
June 4, 2010 4:50:39 AM

Thanks guys, I decided to go with the Vertex 2.
!