Now a good time to build a quad core?

fred02171

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
Hi All,

I'm looking to build a new quad core system in the very near future and get the most bang for my buck.
I understand that AMD is going to release a new line of quads in early January. (I don't know much/anything about them)

My question:
Is it worth it to wait another month? Hoping the new chip competition brings down the i7 prices?

Or
Is it better to buy now and take advantage of the current pre Christmas price breaks?

I do realize that if you keep waiting for the latest and greatest you would never build anything. But in this specific case is it worth waiting anouther 3 to 4 weeks?

orangegator

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2007
If you don't need need it now, then wait. The Phenom II looks promising. It looks like competes well with Intel's C2Q processors. These may drop in price But it probably won't affect Core i7 prices much.

I think Quad Core is a good way to go right now. However, with AMD about to release their Phenom II chips, it might save you a couple dollars to wait and see what happens. If Phenom II is what it should be, you might find some good price drops. If Phenom II were to tank, well you didn't lose anything.

But you could save some money if a price war begins between Intel & AMD. :)

From what I've read so far, I'm not hearing Phenom II is going to compete directly with i7, more so with Intel's more mainstream chips? Which could mean it has no giant affect on i7 prices... but I could be wrong. hope so!!