Sign in with
Your question

New System: How well will this work...

Last response: in Systems
December 15, 2008 6:26:17 PM

Here is a comparison between my old computer and my new one. I am wondering where I will see large performance boosts, and how well I can run these new games...

OLD COMPUTER:
BenQ 24" LCD Monitor (best decision of my life.)
Gigabyte Mobo
AMD Athlon 64 3400+ 2.2Ghz
1 GB of Corsair RAM (Not OC'd)
GeForce 7800 GS
650 Watt PS by BFG
120 GB Seagate 5400 rpm
Raidmax Case with 2 broken fans (Idle/Load...50/68)
Windows XP Pro

NEW COMPUTER:
BenQ 24" LCD Monitor (Nothing compares.)
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4Ghz x 4 (Should I OC this?)
Artic Cooling Freezer 7 CPU Cooling Fan
Seagate Barracuda 250GB @ 7200rpm
4 GB DDR2(PC26400) Corsair RAM
GigaByte LGA 775 Intel 945
Corsair PSU 750 - SLI Ready
EVGA GeForce 9800 GTX+ 512MB 256bit GDDR3 (May get a 2nd soon...)
Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium 32bit

I have been playing these games at these FPS...

WOW - ~30 fps in 1920x1200 with mostly high settings..
CS 1.6 - ~100fps in 1920x1200, cept not in smoke..
CS Source - ~40fps in 1920x1200, with all lowest settings..

I want to play...

Oblivion, FarCry 2, and CoD4 in max settings with highest resolution....

What is going to happen to my performance?! Will I be able to multi-task much better with the Quad core? Will I see a huge difference in install times? Will I love my life? Does it matter that my 4 GB is corsair bargain priced at 800mhz and not extremely fast? Will it still run vista well?

More about : system work

December 15, 2008 6:50:57 PM

Do you already have that motherboard? It is an older chipset. It should run a lot faster than the old system and it would help to O/C to 3.0 GHz, if you can. Is that a G0 Q6600? You won't be able to "see" all 4GB of your RAM with a 32 bit O/S. A second video card will make the problem with available RAM worse.
Related resources
December 15, 2008 7:01:23 PM

Or, I could always switch to 64bit vista for free which recognizes 128gb of ram...
What problems would I run into if I were to switch to a 64bit setup with those parts...?
December 15, 2008 7:10:15 PM

You shouldn't run into any problems running 64-bit Vista on that system. The only thing you need to check on is whether 64-bit drivers are available for your peripherals. That being said, my 3+ year old printer works fine under 64-bit Vista. I haven't had any problems with 64-bit Vista at all. It's very nice to be able to use all the RAM installed in your system and know that you have the option of adding more in the future.
December 15, 2008 7:13:08 PM

If I do get vista 64bit, would it then be a good move to install a second 9800GTX+ in SLI?
December 15, 2008 7:18:07 PM

The GA-EP45-UD3P motherboard supports crossfire (ATI GPU's), not SLI (Nvidia GPU's). Adding a second 9800GTX+ in SLI on that board isn't even an option.
December 15, 2008 7:34:16 PM

Oh @!#$. :(  Another blotched machine that cost me 850$. Its okay though, one 9800GTX+ will do fine with most of those games won't it? besides...if I want to upgrade in the future a new singular graphics card would be better than spending extra money on an old card for SLI. Right?

Also, this is my case...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Any thoughts on how well it will all fit together in there and if it should run cool?
I will be putting it together when I get home tomorrow..
December 15, 2008 7:39:04 PM

If you have the option, you might want to return the 9800GTX+ and get an ATI HD 4850 instead. The performance is nearly identical to the 9800GTX+ and leaves the option of adding a second card in crossfire later on.
December 15, 2008 7:49:10 PM

I already bought all those parts I listed from newegg, so there won't be any returns made at this point...

I think I will order a copy of the windows 64bit which I can get for free. I think that this should help with all the multi-tasking that I do. I typically have like 6-7+ applications running at once between itunes, games, thunderbird, firefox, aim, ventrilo, and mIRC.

Also, I will just upgrade that graphics card in like 6 months or so to a newer nvidia card for better performance, now that the 9800gtx+ seems to be getting out dated.

On a side note: Will window's ReadyBoost help me with running all these applications at once on vista? I will probably be running more than 8 things at once when I am trying to both play games and do my homework using microsoft word/excel and multiple windows of firefox. I would like to be able to easily alt+tab through all of my open applications without my computer slowing down/freezing as it sometimes does now..
December 15, 2008 8:01:40 PM

It should run those apps pretty well.
December 15, 2008 8:24:43 PM

You'd be better off upgrading to an ATI card when you upgrade in 6 months. That will open up the option of adding a second card later on if you need to. That's assuming ATI and Nvidia offer very comparable performance in 6 months like they do now. You bought a crossfire compatible motherboard. You might as well upgrade to a GPU that can take advantage of that.

Edit: P.S. You won't need ReadyBoost to run all your apps. The 4GB of system RAM will allow you to run all the applications you could ever want to and alt+tab to your hearts content.
!