Sign in with
Your question

Setup for new ssd

Last response: in Storage
June 2, 2010 2:00:13 PM

I have just ordered a new SSD for my desktop system, and would like to prepare for its arrival. I built my current rig, but I am still a newbie as far as hardware is concerned. I'm not at home now, but I assume that since I have a single hdd now, it is running in IDE mode. After reading about ssd, it seems that they should always be run as ahci. I plan to do a fresh install of windows 7 on the ssd, and I think i'll be able to fit all of my data on the new ssd (though i probably wont migrate everything over). I feel pretty comfortable with the steps i need to take to get the current system running in ahci mode. I currently have a 120gb hdd and the incoming ssd is 64 gb. I have a few questions about getting everything setup:

1. I don't understand exactly what raid is, and if it would be beneficial to use it with a ssd and hdd. should i be using raid with the 2 drives?

2. how should i go about installing everything?

My current plan is to get the current system running in ahci, then plug in only the ssd and install win7, then reconnect the other hdd, then...?

3. can both drives be accessed without raid?

if anyone has any advice for me, it would be greatly appreciated.

thanks.

More about : setup ssd

a b G Storage
June 2, 2010 6:34:05 PM

1. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAID, no you wont use it
2. read the motherboard manual
3. yes, hopefully you have SATA connectors as well as IDE

Advice: do more research on your existing hardware capabilities before making purchases
m
l
Related resources
a b G Storage
June 3, 2010 2:49:01 PM

What makes you think you need a seperate SATA controller card?
Read your motherboard manual. You are getting ahead of yourself.
m
l
June 3, 2010 2:51:32 PM

I read the manual, and it appears to not have the option of AHCI. This card looks like it would give me that option.
m
l
a b G Storage
June 3, 2010 3:23:11 PM

What kind of SSD did you buy?
What make/model motherboard do you have?
m
l
a b G Storage
June 3, 2010 3:33:37 PM

real world performance with an SSD using either AHCI vs IDE can be gauged through benchmarking. If your motherboard has SATA II then I would try it that way first get some scores and compare it to some reviews before I bought a seperate controller card. What operating system are you running? FYI, Its really helpful to have all your system specs when posting.
m
l
June 3, 2010 3:40:29 PM

Sorry about that. I will post everything now. That is a good idea that I hadn't thought of (running in IDE and comparing to benchmarks online)

biostar p35d2a7 motherboard
core 2 duo 7300 cpu
WD caviar blue 160 gb hdd
radeon 5670 graphics card
4x2 gb patriot viper II ddr2 1066
raidmax 450W psu
win7 64 bit
m
l
a b G Storage
June 3, 2010 3:46:58 PM

Well the two reasons for using AHCI are NCQ and hot swapping. The latter is likely why you feel it is required for teh SSD drive, however if you intend to use the SSD as the primary boot/OS drive then hotswapping isn't likely to take place, lol.

NCQ is only used for normal hard drives so irrelevant in this scenario.

The motherboard supports the SSD you purchased. You got lots of memory which is great, but I would still recommend moving your pagefile off the SSD, sort of depends on your OS and if you even use a pagefile. SSD's do have a limited life so you don't want to use it for constant read/write operations.
m
l
June 3, 2010 4:04:50 PM

I really appreciate your help. I'm not sure how to move the pagefile off the ssd, but I will look it up. I plan to have both drives connected simultaneously once I get the ssd all set up.
m
l
!