May 7, 2010 8:46:50 PM

First, here is my setup:

Intel i7 920
ASUS P6T Deluxe 2
6GB Corsair XMP RAM
ZALMAN CNPS 9700 NT 110mm Fan
Antec 900 ATX case
ATI Radeon 5850

I've read through several "How-to's", watched several videos on how to overclock the 920 on a P6T motherboard. Some of the techniques are different but most have an overly similar theme.

I was able to overclock my CPU no problem. I've overclocked to 3.2, 3.8, even 4.0. However there was a problem every time.

Each time I would run RealTemp and Core Temp with Prime95. And each time the CPU would reach 90-100 degrees in just a few seconds. At 4.0 the CPU would idle at around 47-50 degrees.

At 2.67, base speed, my idle temp in Windows is 39-44 degrees. When I run Prime95 it goes up to 86+ degrees.

Yesterday, I removed my thermal paste and reapplied the paste that came with my Zalman fan. Since then it's gone down about a degree but not enough to make me happy.

When I read about this setup everywhere else I see people running at 33 degrees idle.

My question is: What am I doing wrong? I know that's a loaded question but I'm tearing my hair out trying to figure out what I'm doing wrong. I've tried everything with the thermal paste. I tried a line, I tried a rice, I tried a BB. They all come out the same.

Do I have to purchase a water cooling solution to be able to overclock to 4GHz?

May 20, 2010 1:02:02 AM

lmao the same thing happend to me. i have the cpns9900 Blue led. so i reset the thermal paste 3 times, and i finally realize it was the actual cooler. i attempted to reach to 4ghz, step by step, and fortunately managed to hit 4ghz. with HT on, Turbo on. at Vcore; 1.27....

to get there, just turn turbo on, and lower your multiplier...make sure you get the 2:8 DRMM ratio at 1600mhz...

so if you want to hit higher clock speed, i recommend getting a new heatsink, which im eventually going to get.
m
l
!