Storage HDD can't be accessed-says needs to be formatted

Hello,I recently had to remove several viruses, root kits, and trojans from my main HDD. In the process I think I must have damaged one or more of my HDDs.My main boot drive (c:)will not boot anymore. But even more puzzling is the fact that my second HDD, a 500 gig Seagate, is not accessible any more either. I have tried to access it on another PC, and it is recognized in the BIOS properly, but when I try to open it, it gives me a message "this drive is not formatted-format now?" This is just a storage drive, no OS on it, and I really would like to get the data back. Incidentally, the other drive-the boot drive-which is a 500 gig Seagate as well- is doing the same exact thing. Any suggestions? Thanks...
4 answers Last reply
More about storage accessed says formatted
  1. Sounds like corrupted partition tables, do not reformat them if you need to recover data.

Find a bootable Windows CD and first run
    fixmbr
    chkdsk - r
    If that doesn't work then you may have to find some more robust partion recovery tools. Look into making yourself a bootable CD with utilities.

http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/
  2. Also look for a partition recovery program.
    I had a WD 250 suddenly lose its partition info in the middle of running a program.
    Remade the partition by copying settings from my other 250 and it worked the rest of the night. Haven't checked it yet today.
    Sorry but I don't remember what program it was. At work right now.
  3. Canadian69- Thanks for your reply. I will try fixmbr as soon as I get home from work. (Although that is what may have made this HDD inaccessible in the first place) :(

Sturm- Can I ask what you mean by "copying settings from my other 250"? How exactly did you do this?

And can either of you suggest a program that would fix my partition tables? Maybe a free one perhaps?

Thanks so much for your help. Really just looking to learn more at this point.
  4. You can also try paragon, hirens book disk, norton ghost you can boot from this cd - it has mbr fix tool.
Ask a new question

Read More

Hard Drives Boot Storage